PistolWorld.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to load a few rounds of ammo tonight. I loaded 18 rounds for my .41 magnum. Now I've got a few more questions.

What do you all use to measure the powder? I got the Lee dippers and a scale. I hoped to measure the first couple then just use the dippers for the rest. Didn't work that well! The charges thrown were less than on the slide chart so I ended up weighing each charge. That was slow. I guess I'll have to get some type of measure.

When I was seating the bullet, I would get shavings (brass or copper) sometimes. Do I need to expand the case mouth more? I tried to follow the manual, it said to expand just where the bullet will start like a 1/32". Do I need more?

If it quits raining, I hope to try them out tomorrow. If they work out, I've got a 100 more cases ready to go (after I get a powder measure :D ).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got to shoot my reloads this morning! My accuracy was much better compared to factory loads. Recoil was much lighter. I did run into one problem though, the base pin on my revolver was coming out!

This has happened before when I was shooting heavy factory hunting loads. The recoil on my loads felt much lighter than the factory loads. Anybody got any ideas? I shot a couple of cylinders of factory Rem after the reloads and didn't have the problem. I'm scratching my head over this, do I need to send the revolver back to Ruger?

·
Registered
158 Posts
John----
1. You need a reliable powder measure--I have an extra RCBS Uniflow that I will let go reasonable if you are interested.
2.Expand/bell that brass until the shaving stops----have they all been trimmed to uniform length????
3.The base pin needs to be secured or is becoming loose to HEAVY loads what load combo are you using????

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: re: My first

hoashooter said:
John----
1. You need a reliable powder measure--I have an extra RCBS Uniflow that I will let go reasonable if you are interested.
2.Expand/bell that brass until the shaving stops----have they all been trimmed to uniform length????
3.The base pin needs to be secured or is becoming loose to HEAVY loads what load combo are you using????
1. Thanks for the offer, I'm getting a measure from a buddy this weekend.
2. I didn't trim the cases. I measured them and chose the one with consistent length. I will trim the rest before I reload the whole group.
3. I really think the pin isn't latching correctly for whatever reason. I'm loading 13 grains of Accurate No. 7 under a 210 grain Hornady XTP. That's right at the starting load according to the new Hornady manual.

I cleaned the revolver after making my second post, there was some lint stuck in the locking pin. I think the problem was the lock wasn't catching securely. I plan on contacting Ruger Monday to see what they say. I may buy a Belt Mountain locking pin from Midway and see if that helps.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Jon,
Some of the Rugers did experience base pins backing out under recoil. If your revolver is new,Ruger may ask for it to be returned for repairs. I know a bunch of folks who have just bought the oversized,locking pin and fixed it themselves.

HWD

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shot some more today. No problem with the base pin. I degreased the lock and think that fixed it. I plan to put a couple hundred more rounds through it to be sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts