Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used S&W Model 629-1 .44 magnum today. It came with a nice presentation case and has only one minor blemish on the grip that takes effort to find. The action on this gun is silky smooth!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found it at the gunshow in Midland, MI. There were a lot of revolvers but this one was too good to pass up. The seller was really helpful and showed me several things to look for in a used revolver so even though I wanted another dealer's blued 29-3 I went with this one. The 29-3 had a full underlug and I prefer this style but the bluing was beautiful. It almost looked like black chrome.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sportsman's Guide has .44 Spl on sale for something like $13/50 not including shipping. Joining their Buyer's Club will save you 5% on ammo purchases which is about half the shipping if I remember right. It is $30 to join and at the end of the year they will refund your $30 minus any savings you recieved upon ordering. In essence it is a cost neutral membership.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Semi, if you are near Hall road anytime soon check out Gander Mountain. They have a blued model 29-9 with a 10 inch barrel for $1069. The finish on it is even nicer than the one we saw Saturday. I know you don't want it but it is worth looking at. I asked if they would come down on it and the guy told me it would sell quickly at that price. :roll: Thing is, it probably will.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah it probably will move fast but I won't even look twice at a handgun for that price, at least not now at this stage in my life!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm just saying that if you're up there check out the bluing. Even with the ridiculous barrel it is a thing of beauty. It has a mirrorlike luster to it. Certainly not worth a trip just for that though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds like it's time to Start reloading!

Nice Smith, Congrats.. I'm still working on my 38/357 collection, but I have eved a couple model 26/629's for future refernce...

lets see how good a hole puncher it is!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tell her that when you're done with it you can sell it and get your money back. I used to use that with my girlfriend but she eventually figured out that I never sell anything.

I took this gun out last saturday and fed it a box of ammo. This gun is somewhat punishing to shoot with wood grips. The rubber grips are better for shooting but don't look as nice. Even with a six inch barrel this gun feels light for the recoil it tries to absorb.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts