Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have had a new M&P 340 on layaway for about six months now. The M&P 340 is a "Centennial" style, internal hammer J frame with a 1 7/8" inch barrel, alloy frame, stainless steel cylinder and a XS Big Dot tritium front sight in .357 Magnum. The whole gun is matte black. Pretty much my ideal carry piece with the exception of the retarded internal, frame mounted safety lock. Anyhow, I just paid it off and brought it home earlier this month. I took it to the range and fired four rounds of mild .38 special. On the fifth shot, nothing happened. The cylinder indexed, but no bang. Right when the hammer and sear felt like it should break, it locked up. This same cylinder will fail to fire no matter where it is at when the cylinder is closed. It could be the first shot or the last shot or one in between. But its always the same cylinder. I took it straight back to the shop I bought it from and they sent it back to S&W. I called S&W to complain and try to extort a set of LaserGrips. That didn't work. The revolver will be repaired and they will send me something for my trouble. Who knows, probably a shirt or a hat. Maybe I'll have to stick with my 640, its proven to be reliable.

·
Registered
160 Posts
sorry to hear about that ....

Hopefully once its "fixed" its fixed. Good try on the laser grips :wink:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, I got the revolver back this Friday. It was actually at the shop on Monday, but my work schedule sucks. So I go to pick it up and they want a $25 shipping fee. Mind you, this is the shop that I purchased it from brand new. They sold me a piece of defective merchandise and then want me to pay the shipping fees to have it returned and repaired. I refused, but they would not give me my $700 dollar revolver if I didn't pay the shipping. I was so angry that I didn't check the gun out before I left the shop. I get home and the screw heads are all buggered up and there are scratches in the black finish on the side plate and frame where it was carelessly disassembled or reassembled. Now I am absolutely furious waiting on Monday to see if Smith & Wesson will step up and make it right or not. I can't believe how businesses treat their customers anymore.

·
Registered
175 Posts
killerb;

I am not going to sing to the choir and I am certainly not going to preach.
you are obviously an educated and articulate person to have written as you have about this situation.

but if I may for just a second.
I am a dealer and have been since 1978. I have never had an advertising budget and built my business on the word and recommend of my customers. I am very proud of that fact and can tell you for a small business, Cabellas and Bass Puke would very much like to have what I have done.
Nuf of that.

My point is and hopefully you have had a chance to cool off a little bit. Your beef is not with the business who stocks and sells these products in good faith just as you have put your money down to buy, expecting to have a quality product in the end.
The business is or would pay just as you have done to have to send the gun back to S&W. I can tell you their profit margin on guns just like everyone else except the biggies I mentioned at the top is very smnall. I am NOT making excuses, just stating facts. I doubt if their profit is more than $60 to $80 per gun. With that said, they have no way of knowing the gun is going to be a dud.
They did a favor if they took it from yu and used their time to send it back for you. If the only charged you $25 they lost money on the postage as well.
you should however be pissed at and demand some restitution from S&W and certainly would be entitled under the circumstances.
They are the only ones in this with liability and they will probably go out of their way to make it right if you press.
I have had to do this at my business and I and all of my people go out of our way to explain how it works. for the most part, our customers understand and do not hold us accountable.
We have also helped by writing or calling the manufacturer on occasion to add emphasis to the buyers complaint. Once in a while it has helped.
try on your own first and if this does not work, ask the dealer to help you in this way if they will.

I hate to see this kind of thing happen but it does unfortunately. Look at my posts where S&W are concerned and i have repeatedly warned against any of their new guns. Anything from when the Brits took them over until they sold. I had also hoped the new owners would improve their QC. But at this time it seems they are still in trouble and their QC still sucks.
I tried using their guns in my rental counter only to have to discontinue as they will simply NOT stay together long enough to rent them consistently.

I hope this helps and sheds some new lite that will help you make peace with your dealer and to get the help you want from the bad guy.

Good luck and if you would be so kind, please let us know how it works out. I keep score especially where S&W are concerned.

I know I am going to be flamed by all those who have S&W and no problems. But that is OK, I speak with experience of trying to rent and keep in working order about 80 different handguns as well as all the long guns. the one manuf. I have had trouble with the most is the S&W models in both auto and revolver. The autos are much worse than the revolvers, but both are bad enough I would NOT spend money on a Smith as opposed to Ruger, period.

UF

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that S&W is the responsible party for my having received a defective firearm. That is why all of my communication has been with S&W. I took it back to the shop I bought it from because they are a FFL dealer and able to ship and receive firearms. I buy a lot of guns. That shop has a vested interest in keeping me happy. I don't beat them up on price and I don't shop at Gander Mountain. The shipping charges should have been resolved between the dealer and S&W. Under no circumstances should those costs have been passed on to the (unhappy) customer. Now it gets a bit murky here, because I returned the firearm to the dealer to be returned for warranty service. The gunsmith at the shop took it apart to see if he could figure out what was wrong. I didn't ask or authorize that he look at it. He was just curious and took it upon himself. Now, S&W doesn't know that he had it apart, but they could claim that the damage to the finish and screw heads was there when they received the gun. I don't know. Another detail to the story is that I am a former employee of the shop where I purchased the revolver and many of the current employees and management are my friends and fishing buddies. I am not trying to get over on anybody. All I want is what I paid for, which is a new, unmolested M&P 340 that fires all five shots.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so I called S&W and complained. They sent me a shipping label and I boxed it up and sent it back myself. I didn't know I could do that. I thought it had to be shipped through a FFL dealer. I live near a large UPS shipping hub so I took it there and told the guy that it was a firearm and he said, "No problem, were all set." I got a shipping receipt just in case. It was shipped back to my home today, which again, I didn't know you could do. It got a total refinish and function test, according to the accompanying letter. Cosmetically it looks like new and the buggered screws are replaced. Functionally, it will dry fire all five, where before it would hang up on the one chamber. I will have to get to the range this weekend and give it another try. Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Glad they're helping to make things right. I'll cross my fingers for the real test ..... did they ever end up sending you anything for your hassle???

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If there was anything included with the revolver the first time it was returned, I didn't get it. The first time I shipped it back to S&W through the dealer I purchased it from and they returned it to the same dealer. I wouldn't put it past them to keep whatever else may have been shipped with it. When I called back the second time to complain to S&W, I asked the guy about them shipping me something extra on the first go around. All he could say was that if the previous customer service guy said they were sending something, then they did. But he had no record of it. I dunno. If it shoots reliably, thats all I wanted. That particular shop probably just lost a customer. I was in there a little bit ago and couldn't get anybody to wait on me. I walked out and went and purchased a new set of King Cobra irons instead. Something else I can't shoot straight.

·
Registered
175 Posts
killerb;

Bad stuff all around. I am sorry to hear that you still had trouble. I just hope for your sake it is fixed for good this time. No one wants to have problems with their new gun no matter who makes it or what you pay.

We want to have it work flawlessly out of the box with nothing more than a cleaning and oiling. After all for what we pay I don't think it is too much to expect.

You have had more than your share and from a company that used to be #1 in everyones' book.

The only difference with S&W now vs the old, (prior to the Brits buyout) is they still charge more than the other manufacturers and their quality sucks. I keep hoping they will wake up and get their QC people on the ball but not yet it seems.

I have only three models of the new Smith handguns in my rental program now and I have been reluctant to stock their guns with only two or three exceptions. I was having so much trouble with guns just as you did and it was hurting my business and making people angry for something I had no control.

Anyway I hope it is done now and your problems are behind.

Please keep us posted if you will as I for one am genuinely interested in the final outcome.

take care and stay safe, always

UF

1 - 9 of 9 Posts