Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm new to the sight, but I was reading here and thought you may have some answers to my questions. I enjoy shooting and I've been looking to buy a pistol recently. The main reasons I want to buy a pistol is for taking it to the range and also to take it camping, hiking, and self defense. My Dad has a beretta 92fs 9mm but I've never had the chance to shoot it. He said when he purchased his gun he also liked the sig sauer pistols. I know I will need to see which gun feels the best in my hand before purchasing. I don't know what caliber gun to look for. I want something that's going to be fun to shoot, so I didn't think I wanted a .45 acp because of the recoil. But I've also read stories on the controversy about 9mm not having a lot of stopping power if I needed it. I'm certainly not ruling the 9mm out though. I also thought about possibly using the pistol in competitions at my local shooting range (just for fun, not to be competive), and I don't know what caliber rounds are usually allowed in competitions. I was looking at both the sig p226 and p229 mainly in the 9mm or .40 caliber. What are your thoughts? I hope these questions don't sound too dumb. Thanks

·
Registered
640 Posts
A 9mm is a fine choice, ammo is the least expensive of the centerfires (do not confuse this with cheap, there is no such animal anymore) and it is plenty for protection with the correct loads. One must remember, those who are putting down the effectiveness of the 9mm have never, and never will, offer to let someone shoot them with it. The 9mm will also be adequate for competition, many are either local "fun shoots" where claiber is a secondary consideration to fun or are divided into classes based on caliber.
I carry a 40 S&W or 45 ACP the most depending on usage but have had a few 9mms in the past. For some situations, I found the 9mm a better performer but carry the larger calibers as they have a little less penetration than a 9mm when expanding bullets are used. More importantly, the larger calibers are mandated by the boss as primary weapons. For back up we can carry anything we want and I often carry a 9mm subcompact when I do.
As for brands and models, that is pretty subjective. For good guns I would look at SIG, Springfield, Glock, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Beretta, and most others in this price range as there are too many to list.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi G-tar-man,

If you're still accepting guidance, I may have some for you. For concealed carry or self defense you should consider a caliber pistol. Personally, I like the 40 cal. because it's close to a 9mm without the penetration hence if you fire and the round goes through something or someone and injures or kills an innocent bystander, you've got problems.

For competition, the 9mm may perform better because of less recoil, but the fun of shooting depends on the preferences of the shooter. I find more of a challenge is more fun.

Choose a pistol that feels good in your hand. Perhaps a nice medium weight that will just rest in your hand when you relax. Something not too heavy overall, weighing your hand down when holding the firearm. And something that doesn't have any or too much weight forward of the grip causing the barrel to tip downward while holding with a comfortable, relaxed grip.

When firing, aquire target, firm grip on the pistol, and just squeeze the trigger... you should be pleased.

Remember firearm safety at all times... :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.