Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a 45 ACP. However am new to pistols. Very competent shooter with shotguns and rifles. So I need your advice, on which guns are good and which ones are not worth a dime. It will not be used as a concealed gun so size is really not an issue. Please fill me in on details such as which is better Single or Double action etc. Am thinking that the more ammo it holds, the better but have heard that some of the double stack clip guns jam. Would like to have one that is very reliable, shoots well with a variety of ammo etc. Trying to keep cost down and don't want to spend $1000 or more on a top of the line type model...any suggestions, recommendations are welcome, don't be afraid to go into detail for fear of insulting my intelligence. When it comes to 45 ACP's consider me a newbie. Yes I will practice religiously with it to become competent so we can leave the part about practice practice practice and then practice some more, out of the equation....thanks a ton guys/girls

·
Registered
606 Posts
First step is to shoot a couple different types.. The .45 autoloader community is pretty well split into "The 1911 guys" and "other".

Then, the "other" community is split into the "DA first pull, SA (kinda) second pull" and the "DAO" guys (mostly striker-fired pistols).

Before making any recommendations, we need to know which group you belong to.... seriously.

If you bought a Glock, a fine pistol in it's own right, because of what somebody here recommended, and then later had the opportunity to shoot a 1911 and said to yourself, "This is the way it's supposed to be!!!!", you would have gotten bum advice.

If, as you said, CCW is not an issue, a full-size pistol is what you're after. Try a good 1911, a Beretta 92 or 96 (DA/SA), or a Glock or Springfield XD (DAO).... choose your style, and come on back for some lively discussion.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I guess in addition to what wwb asked - my question is what do you want the pistol for? You said you don't want to carry it, but never said what you primary purpose was for it. Just punching holes in paper or plinking? Home Defense? Competitions?

If you just want something for plinking or target practice, then I personally would go with something more economical to feed (read .22 or even 9mm) vs the 45 ACP as a first gun.

·
Registered
97 Posts
First off, Welcome to the Forum.

Like was said before above, there are those who like the 1911's which where nice in their time, and still are don't get me wrong, but then there are those of us who like the Glock's and Springfield XD's.

But if it's a .45 cal your after, then GET a .45 Pistol. Don't settle for anything else, you wont be happy until you get what you wanted to begin with.

Personally, I like the XD's Grip safety, and the over all construction is better than that of a glock, my "personal opinion".

What I would suggest is to Go to a gun store, ask to look at several different styles of .45 ACP and tell them what you want it for... You will like the look and feel of the Springfield XD service model in your hand, or even the 5" tactical too. But I'm partial to the XD's.... but it is what feels the best to YOU... If you have friends who have a .45, try to shoot that one to see if it is something that you like...

Here is the basic's between the XD and the Glock's.....

How the XD Works

by Dick Metcalf

The XD design integrates classic autoloader mechanics with several distinctly unconventional features. The basic operating mechanism employs a familiar Browning-type cam-ramp, tilt-barrel operation with a captive dual-spring recoil guide assembly. The noncockable ignition mechanism is striker-fired and requires a partial rearward motion of the slide (approximately 3/4 inch) to cock the system and ready the trigger. If the gun is dry-fired, or in the event of a misfire, the trigger cannot accomplish a repeat strike until/unless the slide is racked. In external aspect, this system appears to operate (and feel) much like the familiar mechanism of a Glock, as does the hinged "Glock-like" trigger-safety lever that prevents rearward trigger movement unless depressed by the user's trigger finger. However, the actual operating mechanics of the two designs are greatly different.

The XD mechanism completely cocks (preloads) the spring-charged firing pin so that the only function provided by the trigger pull is to release the sear and fire the gun. By contrast, the Glock "Safe Action" only partly preloads the firing mechanism, and the trigger pull physically completes the cocking action as well as releasing the firing pin. The XD is therefore a true "single-action" trigger design because its trigger only performs one function--releasing the firing mechanism. The Glock is a true "double-action" trigger design in that its trigger contributes to the actual cocking of the mechanism as well as releasing it.

To describe the process in detail: After the XD slide travels rearward about 3/4 inch, the spring-loaded sear "captures" a cocking lug on the firing pin, holding the pin compressed fully to the rear against the pressure of the firing pin spring when the slide travels back forward (either after a short manual retraction of the slide or after the slide's full rearward travel in the firing cycle). A pull on the trigger then moves the trigger bar and firing pin safety lever linkages forward, depressing the sear and releasing the firing pin to fire the cartridge. The XD pistol may "feel" like a DAO (double action only) mechanism, but it is not. It acts like a DAO, but it isn't, mechanically. Springfield's official term for the mechanism is Ultra Safety Assurance Action Trigger System--or "USA Action" for short.

Another unique XD design aspect is the grip safety that prevents the gun's trigger from being squeezed unless it is fully depressed. The XD grip safety also freezes the slide. If the grip safety isn't down, you can't pull the trigger, and you can't pull the slide to the rear to load an empty chamber or clear a loaded chamber. You also can't lock the slide back on an empty gun, whether the magazine is in or out. Plus, there is a separate internal firing pin block that is deactivated only when the trigger is pressed all the way rearward to the point of striker release.

Now, go to the local gun store and fit one to your likings and get it....

Good Luck....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am also looking to get my first .45 as soon as I get my Mini Cougar out of layaway. Decided I had to have a used one I found to go along with my 92FS. I really like the XD45 Tactical but the full size M&P will probably get the nod.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Easy answer: Get a quality 1911.

Better answer: You are going to have to try a bunch of pistols and then make your choice.

Personally, I choose a Kimber 1911. Mine has around 5,000 rounds through it without a problem (that wasn't magazine related). IMO, magazines are the weakest link in the 1911 platform. Most production 1911 magazines are junk. You are going to have to spend some money on good mags (I use Wilson 47Ds).

Glocks and XDs are fine guns, they just don't stir the soul like a 1911. If I had to depend on a pistol to daily defend my life, I would probably get a Glock. They are tough and reliable. But, since the most threatening thing I'm liable to face is an angry piece of paper, I shoot a 1911 for my semi-auto pleasure.

One other option to consider, a revolver. They will feed ammo that would choke any semi and look good doing it. S&W 625 and a bunch of moon clips will probably serve your needs as well as any semi-auto.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Glock, XD, or M&P for practicality and bottomless magazines. Well, sort of. I assume you're in a place where there's no asinine cap on magazine capacity. Don't fear double-stacks. The problems, if any, tend to come from artificially-shortened 10-rounders...otherwise, a good-quality double-stack is just as good as a single. Just make sure and buy OEM mags instead of sketchy ones like ProMag or USA. Mec-Gar actually makes magazines for a lot of gun companies, which is why SIG magazines say "Made in Italy"...their stuff is good. As John1911 says, 1911 magazines are a bit of a minefield.

If you can find a used SIG P220 at a price you're comfortable at, jump on it. They never choke, and are frighteningly accurate. The new ones go for a grand, but the used ones can be had for quite a bit less. They do have the DA/SA trigger (usually), which takes a bit of getting used to...if you like consistency, the DAK (double-action kellerman...consistent short 6-lb double-action) or SAO (Single-action only) packages are great, though probably hard to find used.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I like that "1911 and other" idea. It's certainly true. I own two 1911's and a Glock 36. I like all of them. I bought the 1911s first because I wanted THE classic .45....and I wanted to shoot Bullseye target competition. One does not see "other" .45s on the shooting line at matches; they are not as easy to accurize.
Then I wanted a .45 to carry....for the odd moments that I wanted a gun in the pocket. The Glock is one of their "mini" guns - an inch wide and a six shot magazine. Extremely reliable and very accurate.
I have had the opportunity to shoot H&K, Sigg, XDs. I wish that I could own them all. They are all fine pieces. Ergonomic and reliable.
Pete

·
Registered
297 Posts
About 15 years ago or so I too wanted to get a .45, but had never fired one. Naturally, I was thinking of a 1911. I went to my local range to rent and fire one, however, they didn't have any to rent. They had changed over to Glocks as their rental guns because they were basically indestructable and could go so much longer between cleanings which cut their work load.

Well, I wasn't interested in a Glock, but since I had driven so far and still wanted to shoot a .45 I rented the ugly old thing. The first five holes were all touching. I emptied the 13-round magazine and had a hole the size of a quarter. It was looking a lot less ugly to me.

I did some research and found out it had 50% fewer parts than a "standard" automatic. To me that meant less to go wrong. Then I read about all the torture tests and what they did to Glocks to try to make them fail, and they just didn't.

So that was my first centerfire gun. I've carried it for 15 years now. Twenty plus handguns later, it's still my go to gun.

Second choice would be a Sig 220. If you want something dependable and inexpensive, get the Ruger 345.

I might get a 1911 someday, but most are overpriced for what you're getting. The 1911 fans will say differently, but then you know what they say about opinions and rear ends! :shock:

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you don't want to spend the money for a Glock may I suggest a Taurus 24/7 in .45. They are really dependable guns with a great warranty .

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would strongly suggest staying away from Taurus automatics. If 8pointduck got a good one, he is extremely lucky. Taurus quality control stinks and customer service is even worse. "Life time warranty" means you can keep sending back to them for the rest of your life, and maybe you'll get lucky and they'll accidently fix the problem. Of course, YOU have to pay for sending it in each time. I had to send mine back three times before they finally got it right. Then I sold it. Their revolvers are not as bad, but even those have more problems than I would care to deal with.

I know I just made 8point duck mad. Sorry. I'm really glad yours works fine. But the more you search different forums you'll find more people against Taurus than for them. It wasn't always the case, but recently they have really been turning out crap and they really don't seem to care.

Just one example:
www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,113933.0.html

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
For unsurpassed reliability you cant go wrong with a Glock, in any caliber. Just my .02

Rev.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: re: Need help on picking out a 45 ACP

Roadkill Bill said:
Amen rev.
+1

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey, just making a suggestion. I only have one Taurus and its a Millennium . I have to say that I know of several people that have them that would strongly disagree with you, but hey I've only been handling these things for over thirty years what do I know. :roll:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sorry. I knew I'd make some folks mad.
My Millennium (.45) would eject the magazine after every 4-6 shots. But that wasn't the biggest problem. Also about once each magazine load, you could squeeze the trigger all the way back and it wouldn't fire. But as soon as you let off on the trigger, BANG. It took three trips to Taurus -- and they wouldn't pay for any of them -- to fix the gun. I have read similar posts in different forums with guns that did the same thing.

Just as you have several friends that like them, I have several that will not own another one after the problems -- and crappy Customer Service -- they have received from Taurus.

If your's works, I'm really glad. Taurus used to be a pretty good company. But recently they have really let things slide. I just don't trust them anymore.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: re: Need help on picking out a 45 ACP

Rev. said:
For unsurpassed reliability you cant go wrong with a Glock, in any caliber. Just my .02

Rev.
Agree 100%! I own a G21 and a Springfield 1911A1 Loaded and love them both. I bought the G21 first and did some mods and then the 1911, which I didn't have to do anything to, and they both perform great. The G21 did cost more than half LESS than the 1911 but you will be very pleased with the Glock. As I said they both perform great, same caliber, but they both shoot differently in the hand. I have always liked both, so I bought both.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FWIW, I would recommend a Sig 1911. I currently own, in the 1911 family, Colt, S&W, Springfield, and the Sig. The Sig needs more break-in, but the quality and extras come standard. I shot the M&P .45 and it stung my hand-230gr ball ammo. Also had the Sig 220 Carry SAO. Don't have it any more. Didn't fit my hand the way the 1911 does. BTW, I cut my teeth on a Combat Commander way back in the early 70's.
CraigJ

·
Registered
50 Posts
Everyone here is correct. You must decide what the .45 is for and that will lead you in a direction. That is what I did, but it took 40 years.

When I was in the service in the 1960's the 1911 was the .45 semi-auto of choice. It may have been the only choice, I don't know. So I bought one, a commercial Colt that required many dollars worth of work to shoot well and consistently. I was an NRA competitive shooter at the time so I wanted a target gun. Truthfully, personal defense was not really considered back then, but I had a 38 snubby for that.

Move forward to the late 1980's, early 1990's. Suddenly the Glocks and other "foreign" guns were all the rage. I bought a Sig P220 and it was a great gun except the trigger kept pinching my finger. Sold it to a fellow LEO and replaced it with a Glock 21 the first year they became available. I knew about Glocks because the SO I worked for had authorized them for use, but only in 9mm at that time. Truthfully, I hated the G21 because of its large size and my smaller hands. Sold it and went without for a few years. Along came the Glock 36 and I bought one. Great little gun. Took a little getting used to, but I love it now. So now comes the Glock 21sf, so I decided to try again. Boy, that little change made a huge difference for me. It is still a large gun, but I can control it well and it shoots unbelievably.

So what is my point? There are several great .45's out there from several manufacturers. 1911's are 1911's and I love them, but the Springfield's, S&W's, Glocks and all the others out there should be considered. There are no real bad choices out there if you like .45's. Take your time, the hunt for the best one for you is half the fun. . . . . . :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts