Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 85FS in Nickel. It seems like a very nice gun and has been accurate to shoot. So far, I've put 400 rounds through it without a single misfeed.

However, the spring seems excessively strong. My wife is completely unable to pull the slide to load the first round. And unless I'm wearing my gloves, it is a real challenge for me too.

I've cleaned and lubricated it, but that has provided only minor improvement in the pull resistance.

My PX4 in 9mm and .380 Colt Mustang are no where near as difficult to pull the slide.

I was hoping this could replace the Mustang my wife uses for home defence since the Mustang is now a collectible and at nearly 20 years on, is starting to have misfeeds on the last round in the magazine. But if she can't pull the slide, it is a no go.

Are there replacement springs that I could get which would be weaker and therefore easier to operate? Or does something else need to be done?

It occurred to me that I could weaken the spring over time by storing it in the open position. But I'm reluctant to try that without some feedback.

I will be at a gun show in about 2 weeks, so if a part needs to be swapped, I might be able to get something if I know what to look for.

Please advise.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to this site and new at visiting forums. I was going to see the reply that was listed, but ended up in this "Post a Reply" window.

It happens that I have the same problem with a used Beretta 84F Cheetah that I recently purchased. I have to wear rubberized gloves in order to grip and pull the slide back. I wish there was a spring that would make it easier to pull back the slide.

Another problem I have is re-assembling it. After I have dis-assembled it for cleaning, I can put it all back together except for moving the latch to the 9 or is it 3 o'clock position. I can't find definate information on re-assembling this pistol. Everything I read says, re-assemble in reverse which isn't too helpful.

Any suggestions?

Anthony

·
Registered
1 Posts
noobshooter - I also can't figure out why the recoil spring is so darn strong. Maybe to reduce the impact of the slide on the alloy frame when firing. Anyway, Wolff Gunsprings sells standard and extra power springs, but not weaker. http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto Pistols/BERETTA/81 & 84/cID1/mID2/dID35 You said your pistol was purchased new, so it already should have a standard spring in it.

Anthony - The slide has to be beyond the disassembly latch and the disassembly latch release button has to be pushed before the latch can be rotated back into normal position. I use the heel of my left hand to put a little backward pressure on the slide, the thumb of my left hand to depress the latch release button, and my right index finger to rotate the latch back into position.

Good luck.

hp

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see this is an old post but there does not seem to be an answer. I found something online a while back that should answer it.
Current auto pistols are commonly described by one of two terms - BLOW BACK or RECOIL operated. That is not quite correct. The correct terms are BLOW BACK and LOCKED BREECH. All current auto pistols are RECOIL operated. The 1911 class of auto pistol is an example of a LOCKED BREECH. There are lugs on top of the barrel near the chamber that mate with a set of lugs inside the slide forward of the ejection port. When it is fired the combined mass of the barrel and slide is pushed back by the recoil action. Because of the amount of mass absorbing the recoil the recoil spring has less of a job to do and is a bit lighter in this type of gun. The Beretta 84,85,92 and others like them are BLOW BACK types. The barrel is not part of the recoiling mass thus requiring a stronger recoil spring to take the strain.
Hope this answers it for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts