Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting my first handgun. I have shot one before and also own a shotgun. So the deal is I have someone who is going to sell me both used a highpoint 9mm and and a cobra .380 both for a 100 bucks. The highpoint I know he said has 1000 rounds shot through it. Is this a good deal for a starter gun? Also I will mainly use these for protection and the occasional shooting at the range.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well...the low price should tell you something about the quality of the guns. They are at the low end of firearm's manufacture. Don't expect much. For protection, I'd save up and buy something finer.
Pete

·
Registered
10 Posts
i agree with Pete. i have never heard of either brand and see no point in buying 2 guns with similar calibers. a revolver is safer in the hands of an inexperienced shooter and more reliable. autos are fun to shoot, but that next shot comes very quick and you will go through a lot more ammo.

·
Registered
159 Posts
First of all, make sure the guns aren't stolen or anything. Make sure you find out what the requirements are for a handgun sale between private parties in your state. I am assuming that the seller is not a Federally licensed dealer. You may have to get a purchase permit or complete the transaction through a dealer. State laws vary. You may also have to register the guns. That would be a bad time to find out they are hot. Having said that, High Point handguns are junk. I have not heard of Cobra, but I suspect the same. They might be good candidates for a gun buy back program if they do that sort of thing in your area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: re: Need help with my first pistol

darkgael said:
Well...the low price should tell you something about the quality of the guns. They are at the low end of firearm's manufacture. Don't expect much. For protection, I'd save up and buy something finer.
Pete
+1. It comes down to your purpose for making the purchase. If it's just for something to play with, you pay your money and you take your chances - these selections will work as well as anything. But if you want a self-defense handgun, don't go for bargain basement stuff that may or may not be reliable. Your life isn't worth the few bucks you'll save on the purchase. If self-defense is the purpose, and if your budget is that tight, buy a good aluminum baseball bat.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a Cobra, but in .32 ACP. The only reason I have it is that I won it at a gun bash on a $2 strip ticket that they sell in between the main drawings. I shot it once and wasn't impressed. Its sat in the safe since. Anything that as part of the cleaning instructions uses the phrase "push in with an eraser on the back of a pencil" should also tell you something.

I've thought about carrying it a couple of times just because it is small and compact, but then decided that it was a really really stupid idea to trust my life to a gun that I had manually close while shooting it at the range. Once my brain fart subsided and rationale returned - I took my Glock.

G

·
I can't add to whats already been said and could not agree any more but, regardless of what you do, HEED to killerb 's statment. Have the s/n's checked if you plan to follow thru. Moreover, save your $$$ and just walk away.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Save yourself some grief and use the $100 as a down payment on a good S&W or Ruger revolver. Depending on what you are using it for will help you decide if you want a large gun or a small gun, but you money will be better spent and you will be safer and happier in the long run.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had a lady next to me at the range once who had a Cobra. It jammed about every third shot. She had a hard time with the sights, too. I let her shoot a S&W 19 with a 2.5" barrel and she did great. Carrying a High Point or a Cobra is like going up against a Roman soldier with a butter knife. Your chances look pretty bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am newly interested and have spent 2 days looking at EVERYTHING the world has to offer. I have recently (Friday) fired a Glock G19, a Beretta 90Two, and somehow an MP5 (much fun, but NOT on the list of potential purchases). I'm in no immediate rush and wish to buy the best all around gun for my needs... home protection and the (hopefully frequent) range trips. Experienced opions will be of much value to me. My retired NYPD father is glad I turned down the job, and equally glad I am interested now, but his S&W .38 (service and snub) are only for show these days. I'm in the market for a 9mm. Thanks in advance!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.