Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to this forum, and new to hand guns. i need some help finding a gun for concealed carry. i am looking for something in 9mm or .40, probably leaning more towards 9mm right now, just because its cheaper to shoot. anyway i need it to be under $700 (dang wife) :D . thanks for any feed back

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
The first thing I suggest you do is find a local dealer or two, talk to them, get to know them, and tell them your situation.
(If you buy on-line, you will need them anyway for the transfer.)
It is always better to know a local dealer you can trust.
You can buy a lot of protection for $700.
I just purchased, from my dealer, a used Sig P229 (9mm) for $395.
The weapon was a trade-in from a local police officer.
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the weapon.
There is only a little wear on the bluing from the officers holster.
It came with two 12 round magazines, manual, and the original case.
It has smooth action, flawless operation, is very accurate, and is possibly the best weapon I own. (Also have a Walther PPK/S .380, Bersa Thunder .380, SKYY 9mm, and a Glock 17 9mm)
If you are able to find a deal even close to the one I got, and your budget is $700, you should have enough remaining to get plenty of ammo, a holster, a cleaning kit (a must), and take the wife to dinner. :)
Hope my ramblings help.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you want an automatic, my three top choices are Glock, Glock, and Glock.

Also, the difference between 9mm and .40 ammo is only a few cents a box. Go with the .40. If you ever have to use it in self defense, you don't want to have to shoot 'em 3 times.

Glock 23 or 22. If the FBI uses them, they've gotta have a lot going for them. Rugged, reliable, and tested out the wazoos.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Before deciding on a gun, find a range that rents guns and try out a few. It is very possible that the one most recommended to you is not one that you really care for. I am that way with Glocks, I've owned two and had them issued to me twice. If they try to force another one on me, I'll quit in a heart beat. Glocks are nice, reliable guns but they do not fit my hand or wrist structure worth a dang. This goes same for any other handgun with an angled grip; Colt, Ruger, High Standard, Luger, etc. If I'm going to be trusting a tool with my life then that tool had better be one I can use well.
Guns with a more vertical grip fit my bone and muscle structure better. My favorite carry gun is a Springfield XD though I seem to shoot any handgun with a similar grip angle well.
As for the 9mm vs anything else debate, 9mm is just fine. A good self defense bullet and proper bullet placement is much more important than bullet diameter once one gets above the 380 ACP range. I wish I could find 40 S&W ammo only a few cents a box more than 9mm. Every place I've looked, and I procur it for our office so I look hard, 40 cal ammo is about $4 a box if not more for comparable ammo types. Either that or someone is asking an awful lot for 9mm ammo. Picking a 9mm partly on the basis of ammo cost is not a bad idea as one only becomes proficient and familiar with a weapon through use.
As for chosing equipement based on what the FBI uses, remember they are the ones that limited their agents to 38 special ammo without speed clips, foisted the 147 gr 9mm bullet on us, chose the 10mm as a duty platform, and in Miami, reminded all of us why it is a bad idea to bring handguns to a gunfight involving real guns. They have also transitioned through a greater number of sidearms in the past couple decades than any other department I can think of. As an aside, I think they even allow a few models of SIG handguns so the Glock must not be the "be all" its cracked up to be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got to agree with uglydog. The glock is going to be recommended by many but that doesn't mean that it's the right gun for you. A lot of people just have glocks or have gotten stuck on them because a lot of agencies use them because of their low price or the fact that it's pretty much the only gun in the movies. I'm not saying that glocks are a bad gun, because they're not, just that there are a ton of comparable guns out there which may fit you better. Another gun in the same price range is the Smith & Wesson M&P, which fits me much better and may be a better fit for you too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey guys thanks for the feed back. i think i have decided to go with a .40 just for the added stopping power. i also went to a dealer near my house and asked what they would recomend. of course they showed me a glock which i didn't like, it didn't fit my hand very well. one that i did like was the springfield xd, it was really comfortable. i also liked the kahr that they had there because it was so slim, so ithink i could conseal it really easy.

what im wondering now is does anyone have any experience with these guns? what are their pros/cons?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Right on Ugly dog.
IMHO yo have made some excellent points and an excellent post with great advice.
FYI. when the XDs first came out (again) I got two of them for my range rental counter. I had the guys I knew who had been long time Glock owners and shooters try them whenever they came in to shoot their guns. I had them use thier own ammo and shoot just as they had planned to do while they were there.
Nearly all of them shot better with the XD in 40 or 9 than they had been with their own Glocks.
I believe it has to do with the grip angle among other things. Just something I found interesting at the time.
I stock Glocks and XDs among all the others and they sell about the same. BUt for some the grip is really a selling point as it is more comfortable on one than the opther making it easier and more accurate for the individual.

As for the autos, of all the guns in my rental counter the S&W and the Berettas are the most unreliable.
I keep hoping the new owners will get the QC up to snuff but it has not happened yet and I don't like to sell the guns as a result. It was so bad, I dropped the S&W autos from my range rental program and I now only carry two of the revolvers for the same reason. I can't keep them running and they are always back at S&W being repaired so it cost too much.

Be careful unless you are buying one of their older models. Again this is just my experience, but I am talking about guns that REALLY get used.

It is not unusual for one of our more popular models to have more than 100,000 rounds through them before they go back for a new one at the end of the contract period. And most of them may only have a spring break in all that time.THAT speaks volumes for the manufacturers in my estimation. MOst people will not shoot 10 thousand in a lifetime out of their favorite gun.

As recommended go out and find a range that has a rental program and shoot a bunch of different guns before you put your hard-earned money on the line. Everyone wants to help, but it is a very personal move to buy and use a particular firearm. Why not get the very best for you the first time.

UF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts