Pistol World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. here's the deal.

I want a handgun that has reasonable power (stopping power of +p/magnum loads, don't give me FPS because that doesnt directly equate), but with emphasis on magazine size.

recoil is not an issue, so if you know of something, tell me. and dont throw me the, "well, a real sportsman wouldnt need a big 'ol mag!" line of thought. I'm not a sportsman. And misses DO happen. (and what if there was more than one?)

A calico of any caliber wouldnt be acceptable. Besides, they're something of a novelty now. a good idea ruined by a misunderstanding society... (besides, that's approaching submachine class size and weight)

If I have to, I will settle for a Glock 17 with a glock 18 round mag, but, I'm looking for something of similiar mag size but better power.

The next best I've seen is a glock 20 mag with a generic 31 mag (dont ask me where i saw this mag, just believe me when i say i did.) Since the mag wasnt glock-made, i doubt it'd feed correctly.

and, well... anything that isnt as bigger than 20 rounds isnt what i'm looking for.

what good is 12 round's of .45 if you're caught reloading?

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you miss after 12 rounds at common self-defense ranges, you should probably invest some more time in practice.

You've got to remember that you're responsible for every round that leaves the barrel so if you're just sweeping the street hoping to hit the BG, you may be setting yourself up for some trouble. Find a gun that you like to shoot and go from there.

Since you want as many rounds possible, a .357 mag is probably out of the question. Go with a double stack .45 in something like a Springfield XD or Glock. That should get you started.

EDIT: Although if street sweeping is your thing: http://www.compfused.com/directlink/3560/

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bah.
what if there was more than one?
what if zombies are real and they started uprising?
what if?

I'm not saying I miss after 12 shots. I probably wouldnt.
But what if I did? If you're a good shot, more rounds in the mag sounds like a good idea to me.

I told you not to throw that logic at me. I've seen it everywhre. Please say something that is of help.

(and i've never seen anything in .45 that was more than 20.)

·
Registered
944 Posts
Well you're probably going to be dead if you get ten shots off and still NEED more. Anyways, you may want to look at a 9mm semiautomatic Uzi or a FN Five Seven which has a 20 round mag.

You either get stopping power, capacity or a compromise in between. A handgun will not give you the most of both. Get an Auto Ordinance Thompson and you will get both but you sacrifice the configuration you want.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I sent you the link to the double drum glock. It's only in 9mm, but when you're spraying that many rounds I don't think the caliber really matters.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm a bit of a skeptic on the power of 5.7 rounds. Since they're armour piercing (well, the pistol is designed around them being that way despite them being available in conventional FMJ), i dont think they'd be an improvement over 30 rounds of 9mm. Supposedly they tumble in tissue. Don't know. I do know that FN offers a 30 round FiveseveN mag.

I hadn't considered an UZI. I assume you mean a semi-auto Micro uzi. (I'm not terribly interested in going FA).
I dont think it's what I want though, since it is still a little too long. Not enough like a pistol, y'know?

Look, I know it's possible to get this sort of thing. (Glock seems to be the only ones offering it, though. ANd btw, That drum round is made by Beta, and was meant for MP5's. It's feed stack is modded to allow a glock to accept it.) It's just no one wants to manufacture a larger magazine for just a pistol, besides glock. And FN. And HK. (HK UCP+HK MP7 PDW, HK's rival to FN's P90+FiveseveN)

I doubt you understand or sympathize with why I'd want a larger mag. It's not that I'd miss. It's not that there ARE going to be 20 hostiles on the next corner. But who ever failed because they were prepared?

·
Registered
87 Posts

Glock 21 in .45 ACP with Trijicon Night Sights. If this won't stop whats after you, you've got other problems. Bill T.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glock in '45 is the least safe of all glock models.

and I just have a personal dislike (don't ask me why, i venerate it just as much as you do, prolly) for '45s. Probably because i dont like 1911.... but that irrelevant.

we've been over this before.
that glock model doesnt have enough HI cap mags available.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: re: Need something HI-cap but also HI-power

tenmilli-master said:
Glock in '45 is the least safe of all glock models.
And how, may I ask did you come to this brilliant conclusion? Bill T.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has the thinnest slide walls of any glock slide.
Too high pressure ammunition (this happens more in converted .400, or .45 super, but you weren't talking about those and i wasnt either) could lead to a kB!. Still not very likely, and the difference is hardly any... I know how rare kB!'s are i was just saying it.

And dude. Read my other long-winded posts.

or not.
Ok let's get this straight. 10+=hi-cap
20+=super hi-cap.
I want something-anything that's 20+, and the only cal i've seen is 10mm.

I've done a bit more research. I could get a CZ75 (there's a CZ 29 rd mag).

·
Registered
122 Posts
High capacity and high power? Get a Taurus revolver capable of holding 8 rounds of .357 Magnum ammunition. If that's not enough, get a 1911 and a 40 round drum magazine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
"It has the thinnest slide walls of any glock slide."

So what? How does that translate into being, "dangerous"?? The barrel absorbs all of a cartridges pressure, not the slide. How many Glock 21 slides have "blown up"? Most likely a grand total of none. Your making about as much sense as a auctioneer with laryngitis. Bill T.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still not very likely, and the difference is hardly any...
AHEM. I didn't say it was ZOMG BURN THE VILLAGE IT's DANGEROUS!

I said it was the least safe.

And a good small number of glocks (in general, not just the 21, most of them being modded ones or havent-been cleaned the last 40k rounds ones) kB!
seriously. Go wiki it. I'm not saying it's something to worry about.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Is the 21 KB! still an issue with the new barrels that have a fully supported feeding chamber ramp? If so, does this occur with standard factory ammunition or the high powered ammunition and reloads? Because if its safe with the factory loads I don't really see much of a problem here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's no problem. kB's are usually associated with user negligence or bad mods.
The 21 is really bad with the mods only because .45ACP has lighter chamber pressure allowing for a lighter slide. Some G21's are modded to accept .400 or .45 super, which have considerably higher PSI's, and require a heavier slide to allow slide pressure to drop before the next round is fired.

Full support isnt really a definitive issue with the 21. (and it's really not a problem in the other glocks)

Can you answer the question that was directed at you?
You've seen a 1911 fitted to a drum round?

·
Registered
87 Posts
"Because if its safe with the factory loads I don't really see much of a problem here."

There is no problem, just a lot of internet bull$h!t. Glocks are as or more safe than any other semi auto handgun out there. There are range rental guns in the field with well over half a MILLION rounds thru them and are still banging away every day with minimal maintenence. They are used by more police departments and law enforcement than all other semi auto handguns combined. There hasn't been a handgun in history that has built the positive reputation Glock has in the last 20 years. In spite of this you have all these "experts" that will reply to the contrary. The internet is a great source of information. The problem is sorting thru all the misinformation to find it. Bill T.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sound and true there, buddy. Glocks are incredibly reliable. I've heard some people have never had a jam.

Then there's that other guy in this forum. Said he had two recently.

Guess it's either user dependent or that was just a bad glock.

ok, back to the topic. any ideas? (and yes, answer the 1911 drum thing, man.)

·
Registered
81 Posts
If your that concerned with fire power, I'd suggest double carry. You can't be prepared for every situation. Period. Carry allows you to control a situation for a short period of time, if your lucky. It may be enough time to end the situation or simply to remove your self from the situation.

Have you taken your CCW Course yet? From the types of questions your asking it sounds like if you have not, then that is a great place to start. Borrow or rent a gun if you don't have something suitable.

Every semi can have a FTF or FTE. Lots of guys here carry a small frame revolver for this reason. You might consider primary carry a glock or springfield XD, I'd say 40cal compact with a back up full size mag. Secondary Carry another of the same compact 40cal or a S&W Model 60 357 3".

I would have suggested the FiveSeven, but I feel it's a little big for true CC. Easier to conceal two smaller guns than one full size.

If You need more than that I'd move closer to a police station, or hire a body gaurd. :wink:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess I should tell you guys about myself. I'm only sixteen. I shoot a .22 generic revolver and a pump .22 savage arms rifle at the range(they were my fathers.). I've been studying firearms (meaning i've absorbed almost every tidbit of information on them that i can from the internet) since I was ten. I'm also into roleplaying (which may also be the reason why I'm so damned unconventional... Super-Hi cap? anti-45? Revolvertricks?), so that is another vent for my firearms obsession. (i've done almost every type of roleplaying.... one on one, forum, table top, video gaming, all excep live action... but i dont think you guys would really understand what i'm saying...) I have a serious manical obsession with guns. I love em. too much.
Just because i'm a 16 doesnt mean I don't know my guns, though.

Anyways. I dont understand what an FTE or an FTF is. I assume some sort of legal provision for a backup, but really... dont get it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts