Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've just bought my first pistol, a .22 Hämmerli X-Esse Standard, I've let it shoot perhaps 100 bullets so far, but in 1/3 to 1/2 of every clip I empty (with 10 rounds per clip) one bullet will either fail to fire or fire but fail to properly cycle a new round.

Is this normal? Will it improve over time? I initially bought different sorts of ammunition (I threw away the empty packages and I don't remember the names of the products -- I should have kept them for reference), but they all exhibit the same failure rate, with one notable exception -- high velocity bullets supposedly made for hunting small game failed to cycle or fire significantly more often. So far I've tried three different sorts of bullets.

It says in the manual I should clean the gun after 500 rounds fired, should the gun perhaps be oiled and cleaned initially too -- i.e. before it is used at all?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I have never owned or shot one of these. However I would clean the gun to remove any possible heavy protective grease that might be there. Hopefully this will cure the problem.
Good luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hammerli pistols in general have a well-deserved reputation for reliability. What you describe is unusual. What ammo brands have you used? I ask because my experience with Remington .22s is similar, in all of my .22s, to what you describe. Not with other brands, however.
I would contact Hammerli directly and discuss this problem with them.
Cleaning and oiling before first use is a good idea.
Pete

·
Registered
159 Posts
I always clean and lightly lube a new gun before firing it. It is amazing the crud that will come out of a new gun. Perhaps there is a heavy grease or other rust preventative that they applied to protect it during storage and shipping. That could gum up the works. Higher velocity ammo usually cycles better in semi-autos. It provides more energy to cycle the action with authority. But, Hammerli pistols are usually competition grade target pistols. Maybe it is tuned to run with match grade ammo, which is not very high velocity. High velocity ammo in tight match grade chambers can sometimes expand the case a bit and stick, making extraction a problem. If you have a failure to fire, eject the cartridge and inspect the rim. See if there is an impression from the firing pin. You can see if you are getting a light hit or no hit at all from the firing pin. Good luck, Hammerli is a quality pistol and you should not be having these issues.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If it's like my Trailside (same basic gun as the Xesse), the plastic magazines can be a bit fiddly sometimes. Bloody annoying, since the rest of the gun is so great. I have trouble sometimes when I load a full ten; I pipe the first round manually, and the second doesn't always strip. It's not a problem with less than ten for some reason. Does the problem persist with eight or less rounds?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Posix_memalign said:
one bullet will either fail to fire or fire but fail to properly cycle a new round.
When you say a bullet is failing to fire, do you mean you pull the trigger, the firing pin falls, it strikes the case rim, but the primer doesn't ignite?

Or, do you mean the slide fails to lock up fully and the firing pin won't fall?

Or, do you mean something else? More detailed information is needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the replies.

I've been doing some more shooting today and I took notes.

I used "Remington 22, "Golden Bullets", High Velocity Rimfire Cartridges"

Please excuse my lack of correct terminology, english is not my first language.

* First I used 10 bullets per clip:

Clip 1: Third and sixth bullet failed, I determined they both failed because the clip itself would actually "jump" slightly out of the gun (upon firing), i.e. preventing the feeding-mechanism from loading a new bullet because the next bullet would be unable to be fetched due to the entire magazine being positioned too low.

Note that the clip would not jump far enough down that it would fall out, just move down slightly, but enough that when pushed back up I could hear a distinct and audible *click*.

Clip 2: Second and third bullet failed, same reason as stated above.

Clip 3: Fourth bullet failed, same reason as stated above.

Clip 4: First and second bullet failed, same reason as above.

Clip 5: First, second and fourth bullet failed, same reason as above.

* Next I used 5 bullets per clip:

Clip 1: No fails.

Clip 2: Third bullet failed, same reason as above.

Clip 3: First and second bullet failed.

* Finally I tried with 3 bullets per clip:

Clip 1: No fails.

Clip 2: No fails.

Clip 3: First bullet failed, same reason as above.

* Initially I did some testing where I inserted the bullet manually, i.e. I did not use a magazine at all:

I tried perhaps 15 bullets in this manner, during no iteration using this technique was there a bullet that failed to fire.

* I found the empty box for one type of ammunition I used last time, it is called "CCI 22 Long Rifle STINGER", these bullets had a significantly more powerful recoil, and the problem was worse with these bullets -- although at the time when I used these bullets I was not aware of the fact that the magazine jumped out as described above (I didn't notice because I ejected the magazine and carefully inspected the gun every time it failed).

My conclusion is it seems to me that the magazines do not work properly with my gun.

The gun came with two magazines, I used both interchangeably in this "test"; sadly they both seem to suffer from the same problem.

I attempted to pull the magazine out by force when it was loaded in the gun, I did not use excessive force as I didn't want to make the problem worse, but when I gripped it and pulled it seemed to stay neatly in place.

Perhaps I should complain to the gun shop where I bought it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would contact Hammerli directly. That is what the gunshop will have to do, unless they are willing to give you new magazines.

The magazines should work with that ammo, obviously. I notice, though, that all the ammo mentioned is "high velocity" or "hyper" velocity. Have you tried using "standard" velocity cartridges?
I would just to see if less recoil/less stress on the action makes a difference in magazine function.
Standard velocity ammo is all that I ever use in my .22 autos - though they should work with the high vel stuff.
Pete

·
Registered
159 Posts
I read somewhere that the earlier Sig Trailsides had magazine issues. These guns were manufactured by Hammerli. There was a redesign done on the magazines and the problems went away. Maybe there is an improved magazine available from Hammerli for your pistol. Start by contacting the shop you bought it at and describe your problem. Then call Hammerli's customer service department and see what they have to say about it.

G

·
Problem solved! Remington "Golden Bullets" is probably the worst ammunition I have ever purchased. The only gun it will work in for me is a bolt action rifle. In my auto pistols, Victor, 41 & Buck Mark it is like shooting single action, there are so many problems. Try Federal Auto Match.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This is NOT an ammo problem, end of that. It may contribute to the not fireing but NOT to the jumping out of the gun. So you have more than one problem at this time.

If the mags are jumping out of your gun as much as you describe you have other problems than the bullets you are currently shooting.
you need to have both the gun and the mags checked as recommended or you will very likely never be happy.

First take it back to the dealer and no they will not replace your gun. However they may wish to try to fix it for you if they have a compitent gunsmith on site.
The way you have described this I do no t believe it is all mag and may in fact be a part of the mag lock-up in the gun but neither are that difficult to repair actually.
However do not be at all surprised if they want you to send it back. And again, they may or may not want to be a part of helping you with that.
You are about to find out how customers friendly your dealer is.

Please let us know the outcome if you would be so kind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for the help.

I will contact my dealer and explain the issue as suggested; I will continue posting information updates here.

I must admit I feel that the plastic magazines that come with the gun seemingly are not of very high quality and are rather cheap to the feel -- does anyone know if there are metal magazines that will fit this gun?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: re: New .22 pistol fails to cycle?

Posix_memalign said:
I must admit I feel that the plastic magazines that come with the gun seemingly are not of very high quality and are rather cheap to the feel -- does anyone know if there are metal magazines that will fit this gun?
That could introduce it's own set of problems. If the gun was designed for plastic or polymer magazines, you may experience abnormal wear on the magazine retention mechanism by inserting and removing metal mags. Glock used to warn owners of just such an eventuality.

Of course, a defective mag retention mechanism may well be the root of the problem you already have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: re: New .22 pistol fails to cycle?

docmccoy said:
Posix_memalign said:
That could introduce it's own set of problems. If the gun was designed for plastic or polymer magazines, you may experience abnormal wear on the magazine retention mechanism by inserting and removing metal mags. Glock used to warn owners of just such an eventuality.

Of course, a defective mag retention mechanism may well be the root of the problem you already have.
I didn't consider that, but it obviously seems correct.

I was allowed to return the gun and the gunsmith at the shop will take a look at it. Hopefully they will resolve the issue and I will continue to use the plastic magazines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got my X-ESSE back from the shop yesterday and I've done some shooting, I was told it was a manufacturing error in the device which holds the magazine in place, the pistol had supposedly been repaired.

Ammunition: "Remington 22, "Golden Bullets", High Velocity Rimfire Cartridges" (same as last attempt).

I fired around 80 rounds with 10 bullets per clip during each iteration and at no point did the magazine(s) jump out of its slot.

However some of the bullets managed to get jammed, 5 to be exact.

I.e. they would not enter the barrel properly and get stuck -- forced to be removed by hand.
Whenever this happened the bullet would have a nasty little scratch on the side where it seems to have got stuck in an askew position when attempting to enter the barrel.

So, new problem? Or is this normal?

Should I expect 5 out of 80 bullets to fail like this?

·
Registered
122 Posts
"Should I expect 5 out of 80 bullets to fail like this?"
No, you should not. You should not expect any to fail. I have a Ruger Gov't model and a High Standard Victor. I shoot them both a lot - thousands of rounds a year. I don't remember the last time that I had a failure to chamber in either gun.
Usually, the failure to chamber is a magazine problem. I'm not familiar with the Hammerli design so I cannot comment.
FWIW - I don't ever use Remington .22s. There are too many problems. Why? I don't know. Their other ammo is just fine but the .22s are trouble.
Pete

1 - 16 of 16 Posts