Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to this site and noticed there are a lot of Glock fans. I have a variety of questions for whoever. I purchased a new model 20SF with night sites. I chose the 10mm since it's has the most power of the Glocks and I like power since much of the reason I will use it will be for grizzly protection when bowhunting since it's nice and compact with 15 rounds of firepower if needed and occasionaly for deer. Everything I reload is always a max load doesn't matter if it's my 44's or 454's or any rifle it's just what I like. I took it out for the the first time today and wasn't overly impressed so far. I'm a very experienced revolver shooter but not semi auto shooter so that's why I'm speaking out. #1 it was really hard for me to make consistant groups at any range off a bench and I think part of this is due to the trigger sucks, the sights are marginal and the other reason is it's nothing like a revolver frame so I'm not use to it. This gun has virtually no recoil so that's no problem. Do any of you make modifications to your Glocks and if so does it really help a bunch or do you just convince yourself it does since you just shelled out the big bucks for little to no gain. I like the idea behind the Glock but unless I can be deadly accurate at a minimum of 50 yards and preferrably even farther this won't be a whole lot of fun. Speaking of a whole lot of fun I forgot how it's not any fun looking for your brass all over the ground. So tell me what works and what doesn't and what is the most bang for the buck$. Thanks :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Zeb said:
#1 it was really hard for me to make consistant groups at any range off a bench and I think part of this is due to the trigger sucks, the sights are marginal and the other reason is it's nothing like a revolver frame so I'm not use to it. This gun has virtually no recoil so that's no problem.
too bad you didnt do more homework before you dumped the $$$.

some people have problems shooting the Glocks. Its just the way it is. i have the same problem. i cant remember what to do to fix the issue eitehr, but im sure someone will chime in and enlighten you. you can also google it.

you can add the lighter trigger, but iirc, its a 2.5 lb trigger. im not sure i would want a light trigger on a "hunting" gun strapped to my side. its your call.

also, "virtually no recoil" is ringing bells in my head. are you shooting light loads or reduced loads? i shoot "reloads" in my witness 10mm and S&W 610 and i wouldnt call it "virtually no recoil" and they are all steel guns.

sights. unlike your relatives you can change them for something better.

Zeb said:
Do any of you make modifications to your Glocks and if so does it really help a bunch or do you just convince yourself it does since you just shelled out the big bucks for little to no gain. I like the idea behind the Glock but unless I can be deadly accurate at a minimum of 50 yards and preferrably even farther this won't be a whole lot of fun. Speaking of a whole lot of fun I forgot how it's not any fun looking for your brass all over the ground. So tell me what works and what doesn't and what is the most bang for the buck$. Thanks :D
i dont shoot my guns at 50 yards so i dont know how to help you there. i did shoot some of my handguns at 500 meters for S&G. it was more like artillary tho.

i did replace my slide release with the extened version. It helped alot.

im sure you just didnt p/u your revolvers and make nice groups at 50 yards. you had to practice at it. same with the glock.

look at iirc, lone wolf. they sell/make some glock accessories.

also, are you sure a 10mm will put down a Griz?

there was some guy on a differnet board thinking a 45acp would do the job, but most of us thought the griz would just take the gun and shove it up his ass.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The loads I shot through it were 180's at 1150 so a fairly average load so recoil was mild. I'm use to hot loaded 44's & 454's so to me the 10mm has no noticeable recoil. I would not hunt Griz with a 10mm but I'm tired of packing around my 44mag ruger with a 4 5/8" barrel since even though it's short it's still heavy and only a 6 shooter. 10mm with 15 shots in a compact light firearm is more appealing to me. For those who carry pop-guns in griz country always make sure to take off the front site so it won't hurt so bad when you pull it of your rear end. :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
As in my case, less recoil means

1. diminished anticipation of it, so you can group the shots better.
2. shot faster, empty the mag faster.

Normal recoil of my G17 as a function of my grip, can be about 6" above the aim line.

Then I discovered a recoil reducer sold by sprinco.com which replaces the factory spring&guide. now, my G17 recoil goes about 2" above and I tend to not anticipate recoil much, which allows me to group better.

I went from 4" grouping at 10yrds to 1.5" grouping at 12 yrds with the Sprinco reducer. It cost me $80, lifetime guarantee and VERY well engineered. I am new at shooting and this is more fun now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts