Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have been lurking here for a week or two, and I've learned a lot already. I am in the early stages of research,( I don't tend to rush too much), In buying a 9mm 1911. I like the look and feel of a 1911, and the economy of 9mm. So far I am leaning toward Springfield. Price and features being the reason. I think I want stainless for durability. What do you guys think? Is there something I am missing, something worth spending more for? I have looked at Kimber and Taurus. Who else should look at or be aware of? I am going to use this for recreational target shooting.

·
Registered
149 Posts
welcome,

good luck in your search for a 1911 in 9mm. alot of other people are looking for a cheap alternative to shoot the 1911 too and you maybe late to the game.

im not sure why you choose the 1911 platform for your 9mm. if you go with the plain jane, you are limited to 9/10 rounds of 9mm. if you go wide-body, they the mag cap goes up.

imo, there are other better choices for a 9.

i would fondle more guns in 9 and see what others you like. i would also look for some gun rental shops and see what you can rent/try in the 9.

if you really want cheap to shoot, look at a 22LR. if all you want to do is to kill paper, then you will be able to shoot the 22LR alot more then the 9mm and be able to spend more range time too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
toyrfun, Thanks for the reply. I have tried a few poly 9s, ruger and glock. I liked them ok but I prefer, at least so far, the 1911. I am in no hurry, so trying a few more sounds like fun. Maybe I'll find something else I like just as well. I am not totally against a 22, but It, to me, isn't as fun to shoot.

·
Registered
606 Posts
You can get a 1911 in the caliber of your choice (I'd recommend a .45 ACP) and for about $200 more, you can get a Ciener .22 conversion. It takes about a minute to switch to .22 rimfire, and you're shooting your favorite 1911 for pennies a shot. In about a minute, you can switch back to whatever the original caliber was..... 9x19, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP.

Most bang for the buck in a 1911 is probably the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen the conversion advertised, but I didn't know it was that quick to change. I'll give that some thought. Thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
toyrfun said:
welcome,
if you really want cheap to shoot, look at a 22LR. if all you want to do is to kill paper . . .
Hey, not only paper, but they can kill soft drink cans and golf balls pretty darn well, too! :mrgreen:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts