Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent quite a bit of time doing research at shotgunworld, from stores, asking around, books and the net before I purchased my shotgun last year. I am now interested in purchasing a handgun and firgured pistolworld would be a good place to start.

First, I am looking to purchase a handgun for home and carry. At this point I am considering a smaller caliber handgun (9mm). From asking around at gun shops and doing some research, a 9mm seemed to be the consensus for a new handgunner. Ammunition is cheaper, and the lesser recoil will encourage longer sessions at the range, and will aid in improving accuracy.

That is about the extent of my handgun knowledge. Now I will be seeking advice and knowledge from those who have more experience.

When I am looking at a handgun what should I pay attention too? Fit, exactly how, just comfortable in the hand or is there a more qualitative "fit and feel" I should be looking for?

Are there any manufacturers I should steer away from? I plan on putting a number of rounds through it. I have been very religious about keeping up with my shotgunning (to enhance skill and because it's fun), and with the purpose of this handgun to be self defense, I want something reliable. Next, I am aware there will be opinions ranging on what each person thinks is better; however, there are usually a few people will agree are unreliable in the long run. When looking at shotguns there were a few brands that, while they would shoot well and were not too expenseive, they would not hold up to high mileage shooting over the years. That is not the type of handgun I want. I am looking for something that will hold up to high mileage shooting. That's why I'm asking who to steer away from, and not which one to get.

That is all I can think of for now. Thank you in advance for any help, guidance, and advice you may offer.

Thank you,

bcm

·
Registered
178 Posts
Welcome to Pistol World and to handguns in general. If I were you I would go to a range where you can rent handguns and try a bunch of them out. Most indoor ranges rent guns. This should narrow down your choice to a couple you really like. I would stay clear of manufactures like Hi-Point and others is that price range.
If you give us a price range I bet a bunch of people will tell you what they would buy for that amount.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: re: New Handgunner

El Padrino said:
Welcome to Pistol World and to handguns in general. If I were you I would go to a range where you can rent handguns and try a bunch of them out. Most indoor ranges rent guns. This should narrow down your choice to a couple you really like. I would stay clear of manufactures like Hi-Point and others is that price range.
If you give us a price range I bet a bunch of people will tell you what they would buy for that amount.

I agree on going to a range and renting several different pistols..... Not only can you get a good feel as to what you like, the people at the range will let you know which are their best and least best performers.... Usually they will be able to advise you as to some to avoid. You will probably meet some shooters there who will share info with you, too. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I read an article in the paper about a range near downtown St. Louis, and if I recall correctly they did rent handguns; I'll check them out. I would like to stay around $500, less would be great, but that is around my top dollar. At a couple of the dealerships I looked at, it appeared there was a number of guns that fell at or under that price range. Thanks again. bcm

·
Registered
178 Posts
With that price range you will find many quality new and used handguns. Once you go to the range and rent a half dozen or so you will find what you like. Good luck and let us know what you decided to get.

G

·
Also, what are some features to look, in order to make a "comfortable carry", both for the gun and the holster. I know some of it will be personal feel, but things like size and weight must also come into play as well as a few other things some of you may have come across with your carry experience. What are some decent holsters to look at. I imagine this is just as important as the choice of handgun.

Thanks,

bcm

·
Registered
297 Posts
Don't discount revolvers.
A .357 mag will also shoot .38 Specials, and .38+Ps. Three power options instead of just one. .38 Specials are great for practice; .38+Ps are good for self-defense; .357 are terrific manstoppers, and can also be used for handgun hunting.
They are simple to operate and learn on. They do not jam, and a fixed barrel is very accurate.

I know — they're not as flashy and you can't waste ammunition as fast as an automatic, but they sure are dependable. You don't have to take them apart for a normal cleaning. No magazines to mess with, and you don't have to chase your brass at the range.

Just a thought!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with Roadkill on this ... As much as I love my autos, and as much fun as they are to shoot, my carry gun is a revolver.... Just easier and more comfortable to hide and access...no safety to mess with...ready to go immediately. (Hope I never actually have to use it for other than targets ! )

Of course it does come down to what you personally like and feel good with.... So back to the original advice, get to a range and do some comparing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.