Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to purchase a pistol very soon. I've shot about 15 different semi's and have decided on either the Sig P229 (.40 w/add-on .357 Sig barrel) or the Sig 220. That was until I picked up a Sig 1911 GSR. I loved the way it looked and felt. Unfortunately I couldn't shoot it, but it got me looking at 1911's. The Kimber Customs seem great too. For the money I feel I can't beat the 220 or 229 in that style of pistol. I'm willing to spend $1200, so the question is, what 1911's should be in my crosscheck? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a Colt mk4 series 70, new out of the box it shot 230 ball ammo fine (many years ago), but very little of other ammo. Its has made a couple of trips to 1911 smiths and now it will compete with most custom built 1911's. I would contact Les Baer Custom, [email protected] and Kimber 1-800-880-2418 they can help you in what you may need. You can always add more tricks later.
Jim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: re: New member, new to guns, choosing a pistol...

WDBradley said:
If you get a Kimber you will never look for a better 1911
Plus one on that ..... Love mine !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've decided on the Sig P229. Why...because I can buy a relatively inexpensive barrel and have a .357 Sig...two guns in one. When I get a .45 I'll get a custom 1911. The P229 will be my primary carry personal defense weapon. Feedback?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Excellent choice! Sigs are excellent pistols, plus like you already said, you can buy a .357 Sig barrel and have two handguns for the almost the same price as one. Well thought out on your part. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: re: New member, new to guns, choosing a pistol...

Pistolero said:
Excellent choice! Sigs are excellent pistols, plus like you already said, you can buy a .357 Sig barrel and have two handguns for the almost the same price as one. Well thought out on your part. :D
I'm actually going with the P229 Elite so it doesn't appear the .357 Sig barrel is an option. I'm actually okay with that because I've been reviewing the ballistics of both the .40 S&W and the .357 Sig and they're close enough for government work. I like the feel of the beavertail on the Elite and especially like the SRT. Now I'm trying to decide to go with the stainless or black finish. I think the matte finish stainless looks amazing, but I'm wondering if, over time, it shows signs of wear more than the black finish.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree with Pistolero it is a good choice. I don't own a sig but the couple of other pistols I have in the matte stainless finish have held up well. I expect in time they might show some wear but they will show up as shinny spots and can be put back to right with a polishing process. In the blued/black finish wear will show up as silver and the only way to correct it is to have the gun refinished.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.