Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New to this forum but found it today and liked what I've read so far.
I bought my wife a P245 for carry. She shot it today for the first time and it jammed twice. The bullet (win 230grain FMJ) seemed to get caught half way into the chamber leaving the action open only about 3-4mm. We cleaned the gun very well before shooting it and oiled it appropriately. Is jamming in this guns nature or should we send it in to SIG SAUER if it jams again.
I bought the gun for her for complete self defense. We will not keep it if it keeps jamming.

b/w the two of us we have a P226, P225 P6, P245new, my father in law a P225 P6, Close friend P229, All used guns. None jammed yet until I bought this New P245.

thanks for any help on this matter.
Jamie

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Did you shoot the gun or was it exclusively your wife doing the shooting.
Is she used to shooting a 45?
I ask these questions because I have personally seen a 226 9mm jam in this fashion from a weak grip. Obviously there are other possible causes, rough upper chamber, bur on the crest of the feed ramp and so on.
The more info you give the better we can help you.
Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She has larger than average female hands. She's 5' 10" tall. Not used to shooting a .45 but familiar with the .40 and .357sig and has shot my Ruger .454 Super Redhawk though not many times.
She uses a firm grip almost to the point of the weapon vibrating a little b/c she's gripping it too much.

I loaded up to full clips and let it rip as fast as I could just to cycle the shells through it and it was fine.
I hope it's her tech that's not yet up to par. The gun is a two tone and it's absolutely beautiful.

Looking at the feed ramp I could see the area where the bullets were gliding and saw no unusual marks or scratches.
I'll take a closer look at the area you mentioned tomorrow. It's late here... good night. I'll check back with you guys tomorrow.
thanks Jamie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so my wife and talked about how she shoots and come to find out she was keeping too loose of a grip and letting too much "recoil/arm and body jerk" happen causing it to jam.
I'm reaching on this, but I fired the gun over fifty rounds without a problem. She stiffened up more and it hasn't jammed since.
Jamie

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Im just glad that you found the problem and have taken steps to correct it. Happy shooting. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, apparently we've jumped the gun on this one. It has continued to jam with Remington FMJ 230gr, Winchester HP and FMJ 230gr, and Blazer FMJ 230gr. I've emailed Sig Sauer on the problem with pics. We'll see what happens.
I can see no burs anywhere and In fact once with me and once with my wife the action has crused the end of the casing before it can completely eject.
Also the primer on the .45 ACP has a very unusual indentation from the firing pin. It seems that as it strikes the primer and starts to put pressure on it, the bullet moves a little and then the full/normal indentation is made to ignite the primer..I have pics of the used casings on this. This is on every casing fired from this gun no matter how it's fired.
If someone can tell me how, I'll post pics of this here.
thanks,
Jamie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.