Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a new semi-auto pistol. Considering a 9mm or a .40 with a .22 conversion to keep the target ammo costs down. Looking for some opinions from anyone who has this combination. I think I would prefer a conversion kit made by the gun manufacturer rather than an after-market one - but am open to differing opinions.

While not new to handgun shooting this will be my first semi-auto. I don't mind spending money on a quality firearm. At this point would prefer one top quality handgun to getting a .22 and something else later. Living in NYC it takes some time to purchase a handgun - not to mention a lack of ranges where I can test fire before purchasing (any local suggestions as to where I can go would be welcome).

·
Registered
606 Posts
Put some consideration to shooting a .45 ACP instead of a 9x19 or .40 S&W. Excellent defensive round, all sorts of loads & bullet types available, and ammo is about the same cost as the 9, cheaper than the .40.

Then, look into a Kimber 1911.... they also make their own .22 conversion kit. The "entry-level" Kimber is about $800 (may have gone up recently) and is as rock-solid a 1911 as you will find anywhere..... just doesn't have all the bling.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Ceiner and Marvel are two companies that make 22 LR conversions for various makes and models of handguns, a check on their website would be a good place to start. I have a Marvel Match slide on a 1911 and I love it. These conversion units can be found for 9mm, 40, and 45 frame sizes so pick what you want or like. If you are going to be using it mostly on the range I would go with the 9mm as it is by far the least expensive centerfire to shoot. I either wish I lived near wwb as 45 ACP ammo is nearly twice the price of 9mm where ever I've looked or I'm glad I'm not as they are charging an awful lot for 9mm and 40 S&W.
The 9mm is a fine defensive weapon, I know many that have used it very successfully and still carry it. I carry a 45 ACP on duty and mostly a 40 S&W when off but I have a rather small 9mm I carry as a back up to the other two. The 9mm is very underrated, in my eyes it is a better choice than a 38 Spl that many tout and the little difference in "stopping power" is more than offset in its ease of use compared to similar models f the bigger chamberings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

WWB - I like the Kimber and certainly dont want/need "bells & whistles". I am a bit concerned that the full-sized 1911 is a bit large & heavy (I think this is the one the conversion kit fits). In application process for whats called "business carry" here in NYC - but that could take months and no guarantee. Might be a bit much! .45 ammo is also quite expensive - but then again that's the strong arguement for the conversion kit.

Uglydog - I'll have a look at those two after-market conversion companies. My initial thought was to stick with one made by the firearm manufacturer.

I'll see what I can find that suits my needs. It may take a while, but I'll post a review when its all over.

In the meantime, any other suggestions/comments are welcome.

·
Registered
149 Posts
bklynshooter said:
I am looking to get a new semi-auto pistol. Considering a 9mm or a .40 with a .22 conversion to keep the target ammo costs down. Looking for some opinions from anyone who has this combination. I think I would prefer a conversion kit made by the gun manufacturer rather than an after-market one - but am open to differing opinions.

While not new to handgun shooting this will be my first semi-auto. I don't mind spending money on a quality firearm. At this point would prefer one top quality handgun to getting a .22 and something else later. Living in NYC it takes some time to purchase a handgun - not to mention a lack of ranges where I can test fire before purchasing (any local suggestions as to where I can go would be welcome).
you should understand this about 22RF conversions and 22RF autoloaders in general. 22RF autoloaders can be picky with respect to ammo brand/type period. Also, in general, they can be just picky or finiky or jamb-o-matics.

from what i understand about NYC gun laws, the conversion is considered a "firearm" and must be licensed as any other firearm eventho in the rest of the real/free world, its not considered a "firearm".

As far as Conversion kits made by the same mfg, youre really limited.

Beretta
CZ
EAA
Kimber
Sig

some 1911 conversions are made by Ciner for other mfg. IE Wilson and maybe others.

there are many conversion kits out there it all depends on what you want and what youre looking for in them.

as far as brand X conversion on Brand Y lower, its a crap shoot. its been my experience that as long as the conversion has been thought out and made apprpriately, the conversion isnt that bad.

I have conversions from:

Advantage Arms (G17)
Beretta (B92)
Ciner (B92, BHP, 1911)
CZ
Day (1911)
EAA (1911, witness)
HK (HK91)
MACs (BHP)
Jarvis (1911)
Pachmyr/Day (BHP, 1911)
Sig (P220)

most are great,. I collect 22LRs so if the conversion or firearm doenst work the best, its not of a big deal for me. for others, if it doesnt work, its out the door.

1911 conversions can be a crap shoot also. alot of 1911 lower mfg claim their lowers are made to "mil spec" but thats subjective. Any add-ons like extened mag wells can give converison owners issues with 22LR convesion mags. So, if youre going the 1911 convesion route, make sure you can do some test fitting first. i have 1 Colt 1911 frame that wont fit a ciner.

If youre not willing to buy and try, then i would suggest you buying a dedicated RF pistol to practice/play with. Its not to say you wont have good luck, but cost wise, if you get a Ruger Mk 2/3 or something like a S&W 422 it would in the ball park as some of the conversions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the possible legality of the conversion kit. I'll follow up on that with NYPD. Will also look at costs for a .22 as well a 9mm - factor in cost of ammo and how often I'll be shooting. Might just make sense to get one or the other and take it from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.