Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting to get into the whole pistol business. My family is full of hunters so guns are not new to me. We own a 7mm, 270, 12 gauge and that’s just for starters. Were huge in the rifle are but uneducated in the pistol field. The problem I am having is my father went out and got a Glock (That I enjoy) for home protection. I liked it so much that I want to consider starting shooting regularly. Even considering shooting competitions, actively going to ranges etc. I want to try out the pistol scene. I got hooked after trying my dad's pistol. The question is what type of gun should i consider on buying if i do decide to go into the competition area? I have been looking at 9mm mainly if that helps out at all. I would go with a Glock, but I don’t like the safety feature that that they have on them (on the trigger only). And besides I believe that they were mainly designed with home protection in mind. All answers welcomed as I am eager to learn about this new sport!

·
Registered
149 Posts
welcome.

youre going to have to do some homework before you have your question answered - at least from where i sit. there are alot of comps out there and depending on what YOU want to do, then it could make a dif on the gun YOU will want. maybe someone will give you the basics for you.

go to your local ranges and see when they have the pistol comps going on and then ask alot of questions. look/observe what other shooters are doing/using too.

some comps have a "power factor" thats calcualted based off of bullet weight and velocity.

if you like you dads Glock then i would say its a good start. also, you are mis informed about the Glocks being for HD due to the lack of a "safety". Many LEOs use Glocks in service. If you dont like the Glock for the lack of the safety, then keep that in mind when looking. btw, the best safety you have is between your ears and i for one dont totaly rely on them.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Considering you are new to handguns I would take some time and shoot/learn as much as posible before buy or compete. It might be disputed but a Glock isn't a competition firarm. I could give you my opining but at this point best you shoot as many 9mm's as possible and come back with your opinion of the top three.

Good luck brother, lots to chose from. Find a range that rents several flavors and discover what fits you best. Please come back, ask more questions and let us know what you decide to buy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.