Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a new Springfield 1911 stainless to my first defense class last week. I was very disappointed. I had fired about 30 rounds through the gun before going to the class to make sure everything was working properly. I had no problems with the initial 30. I swabbed out the barrel and chamber with CLP and oiled the slide, but did no further cleaning before taking the class. During the class I had several failures to fire because the slide did not go fully forward while firing multiple rounds. When I pulled the slide back and let it go, it would carry fully forward. The stoppage only occurred while firing the gun. I was using new Remington 45 ACP ammo. When I got back home from the class, I field stripped the gun and cleaned the slide with CLP. I could see no burrs or reasons for the slide to stop. Once again the slide carried fully forward when pulled back by hand and released. I shot the gun today at my gun club, and the same failure to carry fully forward while firing occurred. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am ready to take it to a professional gunsmith, but I wanted to see if there were any good suggestions first.

Tulsajim

·
Registered
606 Posts
Were you using "standard" load 230 grain round nose? If you're firing a lighter bullet, the recoil may not fully cycle the slide. Unless the slide is fully to the rear, it will not ram home with enough force to go into battery.

In addition to the frame and slide, check the barrel link and link pin for burrs, as well as the barrel lugs and mating recesses.

Sometimes, it takes a couple hundred rounds to "break in" a new pistol, but if your first 30 rounds were trouble-free and the problem showed up later, it sounds like a minor burr has developed into a major hangup. A complete disassembly and inspection is in order.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wwb, I was using standard 230 grain round nose bullets. I can't see or feel a burr, but I am going to take it to a good gunsmith and see if some polishing will help. Thanks for your suggestions.

Tulsajim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.