Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to this forum, recently purchased a glock 357sig and Ruger 380acp.
I have been reloading rifle cartridges for years but never pistol.
Have many questions and want to start to accumulate components. Would prefer to use common components if possible for simplicity sake.
Do these two chamberings use the same primer and is it considered a small pistol primer? No mag primers, correct?
Are there one or two powder choices that would cover both?
Any input to my novice questions is appreciated.
Thanks, RussellB

·
Registered
22 Posts
Russell, If you have been reloading rifle cartridges you probably have one or more reloading manuals - Speer, Lymans, etc. They have a section on reloading handguns also. They will give you the proper primers for each calibur, as well as suggested powder and loads.

Hope this helps.

Norm,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ralph, thanks for the reply.
You of course are correct and I should have anticipated this answer.
I did look in my reloading manuals and the info there was brand and # such as "something" 1 1/2 but could not determine from that if it was considered small pistol or something else.
Because I am familiar with rifle I just automatically know that Fed 205 is small rifle, Fed 210 is large rifle, 215 is large rifle magnum, WLRM is large rifle magnum, etc. So, yes, I have that brand and # info but did not know if it was considered small pistol or large pistol. At the same time I was wondering if the pistol shooting community favored a particular brand (I did not ask that question).
For instance, in the sport of benchrest group shooting with 6ppc the primer of choice is almost exclusively Fed 205. I'm trying not to reinvent the wheel here.
With respect to powder, it to is in the reloading books. I was wondering if there was a particular one that consistantly works well for the 357sig and the 380acp so I could buy a large supply of one kind.
In my rifle chamberings I reload for 243, 270, 280, 280AI, 30-06, 7mag, 300wm, 300rsaum and if I could only pick one powder for all of them it would be H4831, because of years of experience. I have zero experience with reloading for pistol and I fear that I do not have years to figure this out before the anti-gun crowd causes a dramatic increase in componant prices or shuts it down all together.
I hope this better explains.
Thanks, Russell B

·
Registered
22 Posts
Russellb,
To answer your primer questions for loading .38 Spec. & .357 Mag. here is a quick rundown:CCI Primers - Small Pistol - #500; Small Pistol Mag. - #550. Winchester Primers - Small Pistol - #1 1/2; Small Pistol Mag. - 1 1/2M. For Federal Primers - Small Pistol - #100; Small Pistol Mag. - #200. For Remington Primers - Small Pistol #1 1/2; Small Pistol Mag. - #5 1/2.

As you will find out if you frequent the discussion group there are substitutions that others have found out that works FOR THEM. As far as powders go everybody seems to have their favorite. I use Alliant's Unique for most of my pistol reloads. It was on sale the day I first bought pistol powder. There are others that will work as good and probably some better. Powder is like talking "Ford or Chevy."

Hope this helps,

Norm R.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i use small rifle mag primers (cci 41) for all my small primer needs, both rifle and pistol. i find this is one less mistake to make. they work for 223 and 38 just fine. also no need to worry about what is in the tube.

first buy a package of 100 and prime some handgun cases (no powder or bullet necessary) to make sure you have enough firing pin inertia to set off the primer in the handgun. then just work your load up. i know it works reliably with unique. i use unique for rifle, shotgun and handgun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts