Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went shooting today and really enjoyed shooting the Glock 17 9MM. Now I am looking into getting a pistol of my own, so shooting at the range is a little cheaper.

My question is: What is a decent 9MM pistol that won't kill my bank account?

I am not an expert shooter, but I want a pistol that will last me a while and will shoot well for me. Any help is much appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
If you like the G17. buy one.

if youre lucky, you can find used/trade in for less.

if you dont know what you want, then find a gun rental range and try some. its going to cost you, but you will have a better idea of whats out there and what fits your hands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Asylum keeper: Thanks man, that is an amazing pistol. Other than the website, do you know anywhere I can find some unbiased reviews on the gun?

WDBradley: I'm not really looking for a gun to carry, I really just want a gun to target shoot with. I am only looking at 9MM to really feel like I'm shooting a gun. The only .22 I've shot kicked less than my BB gun. If you know of another caliber I should look into with some pop that won't cost me an arm and a leg per case of ammo I'd be happy to do some more looking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Re: re: New to pistols

rpandres said:
Asylum keeper: Thanks man, that is an amazing pistol. Other than the website, do you know anywhere I can find some unbiased reviews on the gun?

WDBradley: I'm not really looking for a gun to carry, I really just want a gun to target shoot with. I am only looking at 9MM to really feel like I'm shooting a gun. The only .22 I've shot kicked less than my BB gun. If you know of another caliber I should look into with some pop that won't cost me an arm and a leg per case of ammo I'd be happy to do some more looking.
The S&W M&P comes in 9mm and the recoil is easy, I have one and it is so sweet. If you want a good 9mm just for shooting look for a Ruger P93 or any of the P series. Should be easy to find at a better price.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
318 Posts
I have one word for ya, "Glock".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
You ask 10 people what 9mm is the best, you'll get about 5-6 different answers. Best way to decide is to shoot as many as you can and decide for yourself.

The only 9mm I ever owned was a Ruger P95. Good enough gun until I realized that 9mm was only .45acp set on stun :wink: .

If you have your heart set on a black plastic 9mm, any of them should do. Glock, XD, S&W, Ruger, etc. all make serviceable versions. You wanna show a little class, get a 9mm 1911 or Hi-Power.

Don't overlook revolvers either. A .38 special revolver will do anything a 9mm auto will do, and look better doing it. :wink:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
431 Posts
Re: re: New to pistols

john1911 said:
Don't overlook revolvers either. A .38 special revolver will do anything a 9mm auto will do, and look better doing it. :wink:
When did they start making an 18 shot revolver in .38 special? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Re: re: New to pistols

Pistolero said:
john1911 said:
Don't overlook revolvers either. A .38 special revolver will do anything a 9mm auto will do, and look better doing it. :wink:
When did they start making an 18 shot revolver in .38 special? :lol:
You got me. :wink: Just carry 4 of the revolvers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Maybe I should not get into this. I believe the post started off as a range gun. Like target shooting, so what difference does it make how many rounds the gun holds? It is a target shooting condition, not a fire fight.
I join in because my wife wanted to participate at the range in pistol shooting along with our daughters. we selected a S&W 686 4" for her, which she is really excited about shooting it.
I have never observed a shooter blow through a whole magazine at the range, we have lots of leo's that shoot here.
BTW the wife carries a 2"/ speedloader and knows the drill.
Maybe get her 3 more?
Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Re: re: New to pistols

jim n iowa said:
I have never observed a shooter blow through a whole magazine at the range...
You will eventually, try not to laugh when you see their target.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Food for thought.

Several years ago I took my wife to the range several times to rent a bunch of guns for her to try for the very reason you mention.
In the end, she really liked/likes the glock 19 and carries it to this day. But after a year or so she wanted a gun to plink with and did not want the expense of the ammo for the 9MM. So I bought her the 22 conversion and it has been the best money for a gun that I have ever spent.
She LOVES it and she can easily change the barrels on her own, comfortably and it is one sweet shooter for a lot less than the 9.
Even though I carry and shoot 1911 in either 9MM or 45ACP, I have enjoyed shooting her gun with the 22 conversion just for the fun of plinking.

In addition even when plinking, she is working with her primary carry weapon so she becomes even more familiar with it.

I thought this might give you another approach to being able to do both for now or for future consideration.

UF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I was looking around and stumbled on that thread about XD conversion kits, and I was wondering if any were released or still rumored. The thread ended a while ago, with the company saying they weren't going to make it anymore. Just wondering if anything new cropped up.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top