Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lovely wife has decided we need home defense she likes (she doesn’t like my shotgun), and wants a handgun. She had shot her Grandmother's 32 revolver long ago, so we started with a 22 revolver at the local range, to see how much she knew. Pretty decent shot, but wasn't all that happy with a revolver after I let her shoot a Neos. Eventually we'll be getting a 9mm auto loader as the final handgun.

No, I'm NOT asking which one is best! She would like to practice a bit more, and was a bit uncomfortable with the use of an auto loader at the range. I would like to purchase a 22 for her to get more comfortable, and for practice. However, my ideal selection of the 2 guns would be a 22 that has the same safety, mag release, etc. as the 9mm. I checked the local shop, and liked the feel of the Sig 22 mosquito, and the 226 for the 9mm. Not exactly the same configuration, but close.

HERE'S THE QUESTION? What 22 cal and 9mm would be similar for her to get the advantage of learning on the 22 to transition to the 9mm? Anyone have experience with the Mosquito? A prior search looked like that was love or hate! All comments appreciated!

Thanks.
Jerry

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
You could always purchase a glock or sig and then buy the .22 conversion slide and barrel for it.

Exact same grip and trigger, different caliber.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Or a 1911 with a .22 conversion (either Kimber or Ciener). Also, although you can get a 1911 in 9mm, try a 1911 in .45 ACP - the recoil is not noticably different than a 9mm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the idea of a barrel conversion; EXCELLENT SUGGESTION! Any ideas about the cost of doing that? Probably a lot cheaper than a dedicated 22. I know very little about handguns, most experience has been rifles and shotguns. When doing a conversion, new barrel, extractor, springs, and clip? Is the pistol still pretty reliable against FTF, FTE? I really like the concept, since we’ll be practicing with the real thing. I’m assuming making the change the owner can do once they own the parts?

One of the features of the Sig I liked was the DA/SA action. In a panic, either works, train both ways. I've no experience with the Glock, but have heard good things. Does it have similar features?

Thanks,
Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts