Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am thinking of getting my 1rst pistol. Have not shot one in 40 years. I will be using it for protection at home and in the woods. Biggest animal would be a black bear. So far the 44 magnam is the one i see reccommend. Any advice on make and price would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If it's for hunting, then the .41 Mag or .44 Mag is the way to go. If it's for defense in the woods, such as a carry piece while bowhunting,then the .357 Mag deserves some consideration. The .357 would be preferable for home defense, as it's considerably more manageable than the .41 or .44 cannons.

A Ruger GP-100 with a 4" barrel in .357 Mag is a decent size for packing, and will easily handle the heaviest .357 loads on the planet.... enough for a black bear, and a fine choice for home protection.

If it's for hunting, take a hard look at a Ruger Blackhawk single-action with a 6-1/2" barrel in .41 or .44 (or, there's a "Hunter" Blackhawk with a rib for scope mounting, rings included).

·
Registered
149 Posts
imo, the 44 would be overkill in the HD department, unless you expect those bears to be the problem inside the house. however, if you dont have any nearby neighbors or any that you care about, then the 44 wouldnt be a problem.

im not sure about the size of your black bears in your neck of the woods, but there have been people over here that have taken them w/357.

i guess it all depends on what you feel comfortable with handling/shooting and what in your area.

Ruger makes more affordable revolvers. S&W nicer, but most of them are lighter then the ruger.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would look at a Ruger Redhawk in a 5.5", comes in .44 mag which will handle .44sp as well. A .44sp loaded with Win 200 gr sthp factory ammo, usually available, is a very effective home defense gun. In the field 240g-300g jfp & jhp ammo is a good bear stopper. I have the same gun and that is why I recommend it.
Jim

·
Registered
240 Posts
Take a look at S&W 586 or a 686 in 357 mag. I think the 44 mag is wore than you will need and the 357 will help you with round placement expecially on the second shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I have settled on a 7 1/2 Ruger Redhawk. Got it for a decent price and am now thinking of getting into reloading

·
Registered
297 Posts
The reloading is a great idea, especially with ammo prices like they are these days.

Like Jim said, the .44 Special is a terrific round for self/home defense. It's often overlooked these days, but the classic 240-gr SWC traveling at 850-900 fps is gonna leave a whole lot more than a bruise. If you buy anything off the shelf make sure it isn't .44 ammo for Cowboy Action Shooting. That is such a reduced load it would probably bounce off a squirrel. Until you start reloading check out Reed's Ammo.
http://shop.reedsammo.com/category.sc?categoryId=2
They've got some really fine loads that won't break the bank. Especially their .44 Special loads.

Good choice with the Ruger. Hope you really enjoy it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts