Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this game, reloading pistol, and I will only be reloading the 41 Rem Mag.
Have the press, assorted powders, brass, and bullets. the questions is the primer. are they somewhat interchangeable like in the shotgun. I know everyone has their preferences, but I have some Fed 150's and some Win Large pistol. I know in the shotgun, the fed 209A's run hotter than the Win's. Is this the same, or is there someone out there that has chart that lists primers of similar power like the guru's on shotgunworld.com.
I have some Alliant 2400 to burn up, so my main question is:
Is the federal 150 a suitable substitute for the Rem 2.5?
Is the Win Large?

the load is
17.5 of 2400
210 jsp
Rem case

Primer??????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Check the reloading data on-line to be certain, but most "large pistol" primers are interchangeable unless you're right at max.

There are also "large pistol magnum" primers.... pretty much interchangeable with each other, but NOT with "large pistol" primers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As stated above unless near max, most standard primers are similar, and most magnum primers similar. In large pistol, the WLP is rated for use as either standard or mag applications. In small pistol W-W sm pistol mag is extra hot, and should only be used where specifically called for.
You sugguested loading is a good one for a full power, with out being too harsh. But the .41 is so versitle, you should also explore some light, and medium loads.
Using cast SWC (nominal 225 gr) my partner by , and has settled on 8.9 gr Unique. In the really light catagory I have found a nice load of 700X. But just about any fast to medium powder could be used. For max versitility I like WW231.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts