Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

I'm newbie with a Mark II Standard with 6 inch bbl that's new to me. I've wanted one of these for years and my local gun shop had a used one in beautiful shape for a decent price, so I grabbed it up. I have fired other Mk I and II's so I kind of new what to expect when I took it out for the first time. It looked clean when I bought it, so I did nothing further beforeI took it out. I fired 50 rds of basic Winchester LR HP as that is what I had on hand. I had quite a few jams which appear to be failure to eject. The empty cases were getting hung up above the new round being chambered. I have the original magazine and 2 new ones, same problem with all. This probably happened about 8-10 times. When I went home and cleaned the gun, I did not see anything unusual (to me) and the ejector appears to normal, but........Could the hp ammo be the problem? Any other ideas?

Also, even though I've shot these before, this is the first one I've had apart. How prominent is rifling?

Thanks, JCS44

·
Registered
606 Posts
Most likely cause is the extractor losing its grip on the rim of the shell. "Sharpening" the extractor hook with a jeweler's file usually cures it..... if you're uncomfortable doing that, Volquartsen sells an extractor with an improved design.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I replaced the extractor with a Volquartzen which was pretty easy to do. When I reassembled the pistol, I pretty much did not lube anything around the extractor. Test firing using basic Federal ammo: The first mag (original to the gun) went thru flawlessly. The second mag (new Ruger from Midway) jammed up several times in the same manner as initially described above. What now? Could the new mag be the problem, ammo, what?

Thanks, John :?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Try the first mag again.... if it works flawlessly again, then you know the problem is the second magazine.

Compare the two, and alter the new one to match the old one. Sometimes it takes a slight "tweak" on the lips to get them to feed properly. Also, a drop of oil for the extractor's moving parts sure wouldn't hurt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts