Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Kramer Handgun Leather horse hide scabbard holster for my SP101 3". Great holster, hardly notice it, very comfortable. Only problem, it creaks against my belt, you all know that leather creak. My other holsters are kydex, so I'm new to leather. Is there anything I can do without hurting the holster?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Keep using it. They all creak until the leather "breaks in" and becomes soft. You may be able to change your belt from leather to some synthetic material or even cloth. My favorite belt has a cloth exterior with a leather interior which is very quiet.The down side is the cloth sheath wears off in a couple years making it pretty ratty looking and in need of replacement. I bought the first one at some box-mart and now check out what they have when I need a new one. Sometimes all you can find is a camo style pattern in the sporting goods section.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Colorado;;
Great choice of holsters. IMHO, one of the best.

I use saddle soap or Mink Oil on all of my leather products as soon as I get them.

Especially for the reasons that Uglydog says.
The only problem with Mink oil which I prefer is it stinks a little for a while
But either of them will help your leather be more pliable and last longer if you use it.
I also use both leather and Kydex depending on what I am wearing and where I am going but I carry all day every day no matter where. That along with instructing, my holsters get a lot of use.
I demo drawing all day either in class or for people who are shopping for guns and holsters in my store. I draw from them a LOT if you can imagine and I'll put mine up against many that are half as old with far less wear on them and you could not tell the difference.

Hope this helps, I know either will work for yur good leather.

UF

·
Registered
175 Posts
Proof in the.... whatever.

I attended a few classes with an old friend (Clint Smith) and one of the things he said about concealed carry was "put on your gear then go out and do some jumping jacks and drop and rolls, when you stand up, everything laying on the ground is something you won't use in your emergency".
It rang true and the test has worked for many years for me.

I use my holsters and I use saddle soap on every one of the leather before I begin to use it in carrying.
I have never had a gun fall out of one of my carry holsters during any kind of operations. When I need it, it is where I put it every time.
My last Galco inside the pants holsters is now almost 4 yrs old and worn daily and it has had a few applications of saddle soap, and still works just fine.

The other modems may work as well, I was just giving one idea for consideration not only for stopping the squeaky holster but for preserving the holster overall.
At any rate, good luck with whatever you choose. Choise is good (I think).

UF

1 - 6 of 6 Posts