Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how important/critical is the OAL.?
I realize the pressure buildup in seating too far in, but what is considered minimum depth.?
e.g. My Lee's die sheet for a 45 ACP - 230 grain talks about a min OAL of 1.190 and Hornadys hndbook says OAL of 1.200 (no mention of minimum)
What I've been doing for years is measuring a factory round and then seating my bullet to that approx depth.
Now I've started loading 45's, I've begun to wonder if that's a good enough approach/practive.
Appreciate any comments. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
149 Posts
LOA is one of the variables you can play with. chambers will have different "free bores" / "lead ins" whatever you want to call it.

you should know what you are reloading for and adjust appropriately. I recently found out CZ pistols have short(er) lead ins. So i have to make sure my reloads reflect that. Also, if im reloading for different guns, i just seat to feed my CZs since my other non CZ guns should work. I will need to do some testing tho to verify.

YOu should have a chronograph since thats about the only way you know where you are.

you can measure factory loads, but the thing is, you may not know what bullet is being used. Its not just the type, but the shape of the bullet that can affect pressure.

you can start out long and work your way back. if you go too short you may have feeding issues. also, verify the rounds will fit the mag.

you should also be recording this info somewhere. there no reason not to. it give you the reference data for the next time and you can replicate the loads if they work.

you can look/measure how much room is left in the case and calculate how much space, if any, is left once the bullet is seated.

if you dont have a bullet puller, get one. you will need one eventually, and it allows you to pull the bullet to see whats up.

some powder compression is allowable, but again, you wont know unless you have a chronograph.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.