Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have owned a Llama .45 ACP pistol - especially one of the older Stoeger imports, I'd like to hear your experience with it.

Thanks.

mark

·
Registered
37 Posts
My cousin had one and it worked very well until he took it apart. We don't know what went wrong, but it never worked 100% after that. It may fire 10 times and jam or fail to load, or it may go 50, but you never could relie on it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
HI Dog,
I think you hit me up when I posted my question on my Llama MiniMax 45. It's a bit heavy for such a small pistol but it shoots straight and it has never jammed on me. Might not be the top of the line but I like the one I have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have one of the Max 1 L/F no problems except for the magazines, some magazines will not feed the first round if loaded with 7 rounds but will with 6 rounds. Some will feed the first round if loaded with 7 rounds. Anyway one in the barrel and 6 in the magazine (Speer Gold Dot) should handle anything that might rear it's ugly head. Also it can have problems with bullet nose profile. But I love it and do not hesitate to carry it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I read a lot of negatives about Llamas online, but mush of that is stories others read and repeated. I found an excellent Llama owners forum on 1911.org, and most of the people who actually own one really like them.

I just put an older one on layaway - I couldn't resist it for $275. It's a IXA, imported by Stoeger, one of the old shiney ones, and it has a lot of what look like Chip McCormack parts in it, as well as custom grips.

It has a great feel and it points as well as any "real" 1911 I have, and I really need 3 1911's, so....

Thanks.

mark

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to update - I have my Llama .45 at home now. It took a very short trip to the range last week and worked perfectly.
It is a IXB model, a Commander size pistol made in 1988. It hass a very good feel and balance to it, and with a little more shooting to get used to it, I would have no problem carrying it.

It is a very well made pistol, from what I have seen when taking it down for cleaning and lube.

FWIW, I found a great supplier of custim wood grips for Llama pistols at www.gungripguys.com/

They make their own smooth grips from exotic woods and they are beauties and very reasonable prices!

Thanks for your comments on the Llama pistols!

mark

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update on the Llama IXB: Have had it to the range several times now, had no problems at all other than one time - I was shooting it one-handed, and I believe I limp-wristed it.
Had a failure to feed, which I had to remove the mag and rack the slide to clear. Worked fine again with a tighter grip. I think this is not uncommon with Commander size pistols, and I have not had the problem since.
I have been using this pistol as a carry pistol on occasion and I really enjoy shooting it - it is very accurate.

mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had one around 30 years ago and it shot ok. Then 2 years ago I got a newer model full size 1911 at a gun show for $250 in like new condition.Kind of a 2 tone.A friend bugged the heck out of me till I sold it to him.It was no big deal so I let it go.He shoots the heck out of it and it shoots great!! Accurate too.Should have kept it,oh well.He likes it and thats what matters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts