Pistol World Forums banner

Opinions on Llama .45 ACP pistols?

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  SmokinTom 
#1 ·
If you have owned a Llama .45 ACP pistol - especially one of the older Stoeger imports, I'd like to hear your experience with it.

Thanks.

mark

#4 ·
I have one of the Max 1 L/F no problems except for the magazines, some magazines will not feed the first round if loaded with 7 rounds but will with 6 rounds. Some will feed the first round if loaded with 7 rounds. Anyway one in the barrel and 6 in the magazine (Speer Gold Dot) should handle anything that might rear it's ugly head. Also it can have problems with bullet nose profile. But I love it and do not hesitate to carry it.

#5 ·
Thanks. I read a lot of negatives about Llamas online, but mush of that is stories others read and repeated. I found an excellent Llama owners forum on 1911.org, and most of the people who actually own one really like them.

I just put an older one on layaway - I couldn't resist it for $275. It's a IXA, imported by Stoeger, one of the old shiney ones, and it has a lot of what look like Chip McCormack parts in it, as well as custom grips.

It has a great feel and it points as well as any "real" 1911 I have, and I really need 3 1911's, so....

Thanks.

mark

#7 ·
Just to update - I have my Llama .45 at home now. It took a very short trip to the range last week and worked perfectly.
It is a IXB model, a Commander size pistol made in 1988. It hass a very good feel and balance to it, and with a little more shooting to get used to it, I would have no problem carrying it.

It is a very well made pistol, from what I have seen when taking it down for cleaning and lube.

FWIW, I found a great supplier of custim wood grips for Llama pistols at www.gungripguys.com/

They make their own smooth grips from exotic woods and they are beauties and very reasonable prices!

Thanks for your comments on the Llama pistols!

mark

#9 ·
Update on the Llama IXB: Have had it to the range several times now, had no problems at all other than one time - I was shooting it one-handed, and I believe I limp-wristed it.
Had a failure to feed, which I had to remove the mag and rack the slide to clear. Worked fine again with a tighter grip. I think this is not uncommon with Commander size pistols, and I have not had the problem since.
I have been using this pistol as a carry pistol on occasion and I really enjoy shooting it - it is very accurate.

mark

#10 ·
I had one around 30 years ago and it shot ok. Then 2 years ago I got a newer model full size 1911 at a gun show for $250 in like new condition.Kind of a 2 tone.A friend bugged the heck out of me till I sold it to him.It was no big deal so I let it go.He shoots the heck out of it and it shoots great!! Accurate too.Should have kept it,oh well.He likes it and thats what matters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.