Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Im new here so I'll go ahead and introduce myself. The name is chad and im 17 years old, senior in highschool. I plan on getting my CC when I turn 18. But, I would like to get a head start and begin looking for a pistol now, because probably like most of you guys, I love to shoot. I've shot rifles and shotguns all my life but I dont have very much experience with pistols, now I've shot my fair shair of 22.'s and such but I really dont count that as a "real" pistol. I've never fired a 9mm, 40s&w etc. I've been doing a lot of research and the xd line of springfields seem to be pretty popular and a quality gun. Im not quite sure what size I want yet though, I want something I will want to carry with me but I want something accurate as well. Im not sure how accurate a sub compact with a 3in barrel is going to be compared to say a compact with a 4 or 4 1/2 in barrel. Since income tax will be here before too long(i worked all summer) money wont be too much of an issue. Also since this will be my first pistol I think I want a 9mm to start with since the recoil is low and everyone seems to say its a good caliber to start with. All opinions are welcome and thanks :D

·
Registered
606 Posts
full metal jacket said:
...... Im not quite sure what size I want yet though, I want something I will want to carry with me but I want something accurate as well.......
Somewhat conflicting requirements..... small/short is better for concealed carry, but is also more difficult to shoot accurately. Depending on your definition of "accurate", you will probably really need two pistols... one for carry, and one for the range.

Had you considered a wheelgun? A Ruger SP-101 in .357 Mag is a VERY potent carry gun, and a Ruger .22 autoloader target model is very accurate and cheap to shoot.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Telling a 17 year old the best handgun to purchase is not right! How many states let a 17/18 year old purchase a handgun?

I'll help you choose talk to your mother and farther, a 17 year old souldn't be asking strangers for advice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: re: Opinions please. Help me choose.

WDBradley said:
Telling a 17 year old the best handgun to purchase is not right! How many states let a 17/18 year old purchase a handgun?

I'll help you choose talk to your mother and farther, a 17 year old souldn't be asking strangers for advice!
Ok, first off, I'm not going to actually be purchasing it myself. I'll dish out the money and my mom will buy it. Secondly, dont talk to me like I'm some sort of a kid that doesnt have the maturity to own a gun or the common sense to ask for help on a public forum. I'm not saying I know everything, but believe it or not, not all 17/18 year olds are the stereotypical "mindless, careless teenager" So that said, don't ruin my thread with your nonsense.

·
Registered
159 Posts
In Michigan an 18 year old can legally own a hand gun. But, by federal law, cannot purchase one from a federally licensed dealer. The purchase would have to be made from an individual. However, Michigan will not issue a carry permit until you are 21. If you have your mother purchase a gun for you from a FFL dealer, then I think that is a straw purchase and illegal. I don't know about family members and gifts, but you better be careful.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey, I'm just passing on some info so that you don't run afoul of the law. Don't get your panties in a wad. I'm just saying that you can own the gun legally, but you have to be careful of how you go about getting it. You don't want to go and get your mom pinched for making a straw purchase now do you? The BATFE loves to railroad people who make innocent mistakes. It might be legal for your mom to buy you a gift. Here is a link to the form 4473 that a person must fill out when purchasing a firearm from a licensed dealer. Check out 12a.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/4473/index.htm

If you read important notice 1, you will see that the purchaser is considered to be the actual buyer if the firearm is a legitimate gift to a third party. That word legitimate might be a sticking point. But, it isn't uncommon for a parent to give a firearm as a gift to a child.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oh yeah, and something a little more on topic. My buddy just bought a 4" Springfield XD Compact .45 ACP and it is a great shooting pistol. I wasn't too excited about the XD until I shot one. A 4" compact in 9mm, .40 or .45 would not be a bad choice at all. A little bulky for concealed carry, but with a good holster and the right clothes, it would work. And it is fun at the range too. 9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot than .40 or .45 and the modern ammo make it a much better defensive round than in history.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
The XD subcompact or XD compact are both nice pistols.

Glock 26 (subcompact) or Glock 19 are also both nice pistols.

The best bargain going right now is the Sig Sauer P6. These are used, German police trade in pistols that are selling around the $300.00 dollar spot give or take $25.00 either way, depending on where you live.

These are the same size as the XD compact/Glock 19. They hold 8 in the mag and one in the chamber for a total of 9 rounds. The P6 is more commonly known in the USA as the P225.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm in a similar situation there, full metal jacket. I'll be 21 in 5 months so I'm playin the waiting game as well. But I can't even own one here in MD till i'm 21.

But I try to go to the range at LEAST once a week with family members or friends who are +21, and shoot everything I can get my hands on. Since my range rents guns and switches them out frequently, I've shot a ton of different pistols in different calibers. I would recommend going to a range that rents and shooting some different pistols. I'd shoot a 9mm, a .40, and a .45. If you want a pistol with low recoil, reliability, good size for CCW, and accurate, Glock 19 fits all those requirements. Go shoot one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You sound a tad excited to me son. Make a rational decision about what gun you want. I know it's cool to conceal a gun, but it is not a status symbol. If you ever used it for self-defense it would be the most expensive court battle in your young life. You will have to tell a Grand Jury, and then possibly a regular jury- if your indicted- your story. It will be your job to make them think "I would have done the same thing". Know that if you do get a CCW that there is one thing to keep in mind- there should be only one person in the room that knows you have a gun. DON'T FLASH IT AROUND! With that said, if you want a CCW get it quick, Obama's on your tail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts