Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
I owned a Para Ordinance P16 (40 S&W) and the Springfield equivalent of the P12 (45 ACP) which is a compact version of the P14. Para makes a very good handgun and I was very happy with mine. I sold them to purchase something I wanted more, not because of any problems. I found the thicker grip of these double stack models to fit my hand much better than the thinner single stack of the standard 1911. Others find the thickness to be unpleasant which is bad as the thickness can't be changed with thinner stocks. Double stack Para magazines are quite expensive and though the double stack Springfield mags are interchangeable, I think Springfield may have stopped production of this line which would mean fewer mags by them. Even then, the availability of mags is not all that extensive.
I would strongly suggest renting and shooting this model or an equivalent before buying if at all possible. As I mentioned, the thicker grip can be very uncomfortable when shooting and that can't be determined very well in a showroom let alone from pictures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: re: Para 14.45 Your thoughts if you have shot or own.

uglydog said:
I owned a Para Ordinance P16 (40 S&W) and the Springfield equivalent of the P12 (45 ACP) which is a compact version of the P14. Para makes a very good handgun and I was very happy with mine. I sold them to purchase something I wanted more, not because of any problems. I found the thicker grip of these double stack models to fit my hand much better than the thinner single stack of the standard 1911. Others find the thickness to be unpleasant which is bad as the thickness can't be changed with thinner stocks. Double stack Para magazines are quite expensive and though the double stack Springfield mags are interchangeable, I think Springfield may have stopped production of this line which would mean fewer mags by them. Even then, the availability of mags is not all that extensive.
I would strongly suggest renting and shooting this model or an equivalent before buying if at all possible. As I mentioned, the thicker grip can be very uncomfortable when shooting and that can't be determined very well in a showroom let alone from pictures.
Do you mean to say it has a thicker grip on the Para or a thinner? My hands are quite small.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The Para's larger round capacity is accomplished via a double stacked magazine which naturally makes it much wider; otherwise the magazine would be twice as long. My hands aren't huge by any stretch of the imagination and the thicker grip fit my hand very well. Other wide bodied guns did not fit near as well which is why it is so important to "try before you buy." At the very least one should just hold the gun if they can't shoot it. Telling someone else how a gun will fit theior hand over the 'Net is like telling them what size shoe to buy, it is pretty difficult.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i get ya..i will prolly at most be able to hold it before i buy it for a few reasons. im sure i will buy multiple pistols in the end and just sell the ones i dont want in my collection but i will have prolly a 10 gun collection when im done to add to my other weaponry..ty for the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.