Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone tell me where to find a simple explanation of the types of pistol ammo? I have owned a S/W 38 for quite a while but recently joined a gun shooting club and am confused about what type of ammo to shoot just for target practice.

If you have a moment just point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Toyman

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
One thing you can do is go to Walmart, if yours sell ammo, and buy the least expensive they have for your 38 spl. Other than that you can buy a box of semi wad cutter, this is lead target ammo. You can also use plain lead round nose for target shooting.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Toyman
You did not mention the type or model of your 38 nor the barrel length etc but for practice you might consider the lightest bullet weight to reduce the recoil to minimum.
Also as mentioned using the 38 special ammo with lead bullets rather than jacketed may also save some money.
Something to consider for bullet weight in either jacketed or lead is;
125 grain or 130 grain if you can find it as it is the most comfortable to shoot in any barrel length or pistol weight.
I use 125 or 130 gr for my rental guns at the shooting range as it is the most comfortable for new shooters or women shooters out for their first time shooting usually with guns purchased by husbands or boyfriends.

Bottom line is that the heavier the bullet the more recoil you will experience. If you are shooting a snub nose revolver that can be significant.
Also, the more you reduce recoil, the less wear you have on your revolver at the end of the day. Depending on the manuf of your gun, that can be a big difference in the life of the gun.

I have been in the firearms business since 78 and seen a lot of changes made in the guns we have all been familiar with and not all of them good. But for the most part, these bullet weights and the caliber of your gun should help you and also keep your costs for ammo at the lowest possible.

If you have a store (mom and POP) in your area that sell reloads such as "Black Hills" they are even less and they are a factory manufactured reload and completely safe and reliable. BTW, they are the only reloads other than my own that I would recommend and I am not sure you will be able to find them but if so they are good.

Happy New Year and I hope this will be of some help.

UncleFudd

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for your replies. While I own several shotguns and know a "little" about this ammo I know nothing about pistol ammo. For instance, I did not know what grains on the shells meant. I have done a quick search on Black Hills ammo and have come up empty.

I found some 125 grain at Cabela's for about $99 for 300. Is this a good price and would these be ok for target practice?

Please keep any info coming that you think a rookie pistol shooter needs to know.

Thanks again

Toyman

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's an okay price, but you'll have to pay shipping on top of that. It's probably a better deal just to buy it at Wal-Mart, Dick's Sporting Goods... . But, if you need a place to store your ammo, Cabelas (I think) Includes a storage box when you make a big enough order.

SS

·
Registered
5 Posts
One other thing to make ABSOLUTELY SURE about is the caliber gun you have. There are several different flavors of .38s out there and if you have a gun chambered for the .38 s&w, .38 long, or .38 Super, you don't want to go loading up with .38special. Also, if you have a .38special, make sure it indicates .38 special "+p" if you plan on shooting any of the "+p" ammo.

Out of my .38's (actually .357 magnum), I shoot almost exclusively 158gr lead for targets. They are cheap, plentiful, and also work great for the occasional rabbit hunt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stick_Man,

Thanks for the reply. I have a 38 special and that's what I buy but I really did not know there was different types of 38 ammo, I can not get any ammo at Walmart...every time I go they just laugh...say it is sells out the time they get any in. I ordered some from Cabela's but it is on a 4 week backorder. What's going on...I think I know!

Toyman

1 - 9 of 9 Posts