Pistol World Forums banner

Pistol Purchase Advice

7K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Seaark1660 
#1 ·
I think I would like another pistol or two and am looking for some advice.

Here is what I have:
S&W 686 .357 revolver - 4 in Barrel
Antique Hi-Standard Target Pistol .22LR
Helwan 9mm copy of Beretta M951 (Egyptian)
Antique S&W Govt. Issue WWI .38

I feel like my collection is not very functional. At a minimum, I'd like a nice quality and reliable auto as my primary home defense gun. Also, shouldn't everyone have a .45 1911?? What about 9mm too? Maybe one auto not so huge, maybe a medium to small size.

I'd like nice guns, nothing off-brand so to speak. Not the most expensive, but money is not a big issue. Think middle-class to upper middle class as an analogy. (THink 3 series BMW, not 7 series)

Can you help? Which two pistols should I buy?

Thanks,
G

See less See more
#4 ·
If the 1911 seems a little big, than take a look at John Brownings other famous service Auto.. the Hi-Power 9mm. They can be nice right out of the box new, and there are collectables out there too...

If you Like wheel Guns, Might look at a Colt DA. Something Like a Python ($$$-$$$$), Diamondback ($$-$$$), or late model trooper ($$).

#10 ·
I don't know...you collection looks very functional to me....unless you are going to hunt big critters. 357Mag is a little light for bears.

You have a 357 for defense & sport, a 22 for plinking, a Govt. 38 for nostalgia, and a Helwan cause everyone has cheap foreign gun to bang around.

Does everyone need a M1911......not really. But if it puts a :D on your face, that's all that's necessary to bump it to the "need" category.

#13 ·
I'd echo the agreement on a full size 1911 of some sort and I agree with your thought on the 9mm. I'd really like to have a 9 myself because they are inexpensive to shoot relative to a .45 auto (also with advances in ammunition, they fill the bill for personal protection, in spite of their reputation to the contrary).

Because of preference for the 1911, I think I'll probably get one of those in 9mm (probably from Kimber), but you can't go wrong with a Sig either (or one of the many others I suppose).

#16 ·
Seaark1660 said:
You guys do realize that there are more guns out there than just the 1911......
Holy crap!! are you serious?! alert the press! :D I think we are all very aware that there are plenty of guns to choose from. Just a bunch of 1911 fans here!! Its gotta be one of the most popular handguns for a reason.

But, I would also recomend Taurus as a economical alternative.

Gar-dog
Take a good look at the PT24/7 Pro and the Millenium Pro.

#18 ·
You guys do realize that there are more guns out there than just the 1911......
Oh yes, I do! I have a number of wheelie gun toys. I use em on the range, decorate the walls with them and plink cans with them. :D For personal protection I use the 1911. The one exception to that is the wheel gun in my nightstand... a S&W Model 25... in, yes, you got it... .45ACP. :wink:

#19 ·
Being pretty much a wheelgun guy, I do have to admit to owning two autoloading handguns..... a Ruger Mark I and a WWII vintage Colt manufactured GI 1911.

I've shot several other autoloaders.... Beretta 92, Beretta 94, various Rugers, a Glock..... if you like 'em, it's okay by me, but I won't own one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.