Pistol World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the rest of you pay to shoot your handguns at the range. I don't have any land to shoot on near me so I have to pay $9.50 an hour at my favorite indoor range and about $14 an hour at the one I don't like. The more affordable range only charges for an hour, no 30 minute time slots, and they let me rapid fire. The more expensive one requires a full second between shots. I can also shoot all day outside for $5 at Bald Mountain but they only allow single load and that tends to get tedious real fast. What conditions do all of you deal with?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Bow & Gun Club membership...... $35.00 per year.

3 Trap houses, pistol range, 200 yard rifle range, indoor archery range, and outdoor 3-D archery on a wooded course.

Rifle & pistol ranges are closed a few weekends a year for special downrange events, such as Sporting Clays.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I guess I'm lucky. We have a 100 yard free range. Sometimes crouded but for the most part you can shoot as long as you have the ammo.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Key Cities Covservation Club, with outdoor range, 35.00 per year for a key, I have a lifetime membership I bought twenty some years ago, otherwise it would be an additional 35.00.
Saint James gun club, (Quite A Drive) 15.00 for a key to range, price includes a meal at the club banquet.

Scott

·
Registered
161 Posts
50.00 a year for a key and free range (anytime) on a 500, 600, 100, 2 50-25 yard ranges; 2 Skeet, 2 trap, and a half ass sporting clays. 2.00 a rd for trap or skeet and 7.00 a round for sportys (when it is working).

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like I pay much more than everyone else. :cry: Lets say I shoot once a week at $9.50 an hour. That's $494 a year plus ammunition, so over $1200 easily. I can't go to Bald Mountain because Michigan weather is unpleasant/unpredictable and they only allow single load shooting. That gets old fast. :evil: It sounds like I'm the only one who shoots primarily indoor for handguns. None of the places around me that I know of offer year long memberships or special deals. Does anyone know of a better place to shoot in Michigan within an hour of the Detriot area? I need a better way.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Fuelburns2 said:
It sounds like I pay much more than everyone else. :cry: Lets say I shoot once a week at $9.50 an hour. That's $494 a year plus ammunition, so over $1200 easily. I can't go to Bald Mountain because Michigan weather is unpleasant/unpredictable and they only allow single load shooting. That gets old fast. :evil: It sounds like I'm the only one who shoots primarily indoor for handguns. None of the places around me that I know of offer year long memberships or special deals. Does anyone know of a better place to shoot in Michigan within an hour of the Detriot area? I need a better way.
Well, let's see 1200.00 per year x ten years, sounds like just about enough to buy a few acres of land outside of town, throw in a couple of buddies, and you are now the proud owners of a private shooting range, a few more buddies and you can have a private club.
Just a couple of ideas.

Scott

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ssnell, that would be great but that's ten years in between without (or limited) shooting. The way the land is being developed around here I would probably buy a lot and be surrounded by houses by the time I could use it. I'm only 20 so I'm in the "economical college student" phase. I need to buy a house first, but the thought has crossed my mind. I've even discussed it with some friends and it may happen someday.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not yet but I appreciate the suggestion, I'll have to make a few calls and see what's affordable. I did find one in Oakland county that I found interesting. What exactly DO they have? Seriously, though, thanks. You really have helped me. :D

KERN & COMPANY
31805 MIDDLEBELT RD, SUITE 302
FARMINGTON HILLS
248-737-3322

Archery
Indoor Archery: NO
Outdoor Archery: NO
Shotgun
Hand Trap: NO
Skeet: NO
Trap: NO
Sporting Clays: NO
Crazy Quail: NO
Rifle/Handgun
Indoor 1-25 YDS: NO
Outdoor 0-25 YDS: NO
Outdoor 0-50 YDS: NO
Outdoor 0-200 YDS: NO
Additional Information
Open To Public: NO
Fees: NO
Handicap Access: NO
Hunter Education: NO

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was under the assumption that there were public ranges all over. I guess I was wrong. We have 2 private ranges here but they are both pistol/ rimfire only. I guess I should consider myself lucky to have a free public range.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maser said:
anyways what i always do is bring my own ammo cuz the ammo they sell at the range is way too expensive :shock: 18 bucks for 50 rounds of 9mm
I always buy my ammo from other sources too. 50 9mm should only cost about half of that. I wouldn't support a business that uses price gouging to fill their pockets, unless there was no alternative.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My friend buys boxes of 50 in .38 special for less than $10. They are reloads and great for target practice. To charge that much for reloads is criminal, unless they are incendiary. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I go to a 50' indoor pistol range here in Nashville (Gun City USA, gotta love the name!) that charges $15 per visit, no time limit. I have an annual range pass that cost $325. They also give you a free range pass with every gun you purchase.

And yea, no way I'm buying my ammo there! Winchester white box is $24/100 rnds in .40 cal. It's $16 at Wal-Mart, and I now make my own ammo for about $9/100 rounds with premium JHP bullets instead of cheapo round nose!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Winchester white box is $16 for a box of 50 where I sometimes shoot. :roll:

What kind of powder do you use? I'm going to get into reloading after Christmas with my gift money and I'm doing as much research as I can.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts