Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new pistol. I wil be using it mostly for just shooting targets in the back yard but I also want to get my concealed carry permit and be able to use the gun to carry at times. I was just wondering about any recomendations. Both caliber and model of gun. I already have a .22LR Ruger Mark III and a .25 raven but am wanting to get something a little bigger than these. Any help would be apreciated.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Do you have a preference for revolvers or self-loaders?

Do you plan on carrying in a holster? Inside or outside the waistband?

For the cost impact the .38 Special or the 9MM are the least expensive in the centerfire group.

Both will work well for a carry handgun.

For target shooting you do not want a snubby revolver. However, I occasionally carry a 2" S&W in a cross-draw holster. I would never attempt to plink or shoot targets with it...strictly a close range handgun for me.

If you have gun shows in your area visit one and you will be able to handle dozens of handguns and get a feel for what you like.

There is NO right answer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking more for a self-loader and would probably carry inside the waistband. I have had people tell me that the 9mm or .40 s&w were good options. I didn't know if one was more accurate. I would like a .45 but I'm not sure if I can afford to feed it. No matter what caliber I got I would probably look into reloading my ammo to save money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
8) If you want a 9mm for carry and range I suggest a Ruger SR9c it is one very nice gun. If you want a .380 try Bersa Thunder .380 I have both of these guns and they are accurate and dependable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts