Pistol World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so just when I was about to buy that GI I mentioned, my wife said no. I know better than to argue with her, but I asked her why I couldn't. She said that she will only allow another pistol in the house if I use it for concealed carry, as I have quite a few pleasure guns already. Of course, I already have quite a few concealed carry guns, too. Either way, I was planning to get a new semi-auto and so help me I'm going to.
I was thinking about getting a blue Walther PPK in .380 ACP. Has anyone had experience with these?
I don't know. I want something that is concealable yet fun to just take to the range. Some compact guns just aren't that fun to shoot, and some aren't accurate for more than 20 feet. Suggestions, anyone?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's how I got my Stoeger Coach Gun.
Don't get me wrong, she's a great woman, but she doesn't feel comfortable around guns. Just how she was raised.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have a stainless PPK and its fun to shoot but it is an older Interarms PPK, not the newer S&W variation. The S&W has the extended beavertail and is much more pleasant to shoot quantities of ammo through. The smaller beavertail on my gun can be unpleasant on the web of the hand after 50 rounds or so. Both are great guns and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend getting either. I just had to have one that looked like an original Walther.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You might look at the Kel TEc P=3at. at only 8 ounces it is a great little concealed carry gun. I was surprised at how accurately I could shoot it. Putting groups in about the size of a dinner plate at 30 feet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Bersa Thunder .380 is a very good gun and gets very good reviews from most owners including me. They are a real bargain and are very close to the PPK in size and weight.

I only wish .380 ammo was cheaper. I believe Bersa also makes a 9mm model that is only slightly larger

·
Registered
112 Posts
I suppose that there are ammunition options out there that make the .380 a viable personal defense pistol. I know that there are 9 mm rounds that make pistols of that caliber adequate. I guess I'm saying, there are small, easily concealable pistols out there that are chambered for rounds that develop higher muzzle velocity, deeper penetration, and better expansion than .380. My $ .02 and I guess worth about that much.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I always thought the .380 was just not enough and own a .357 and .45. Problem is neither one is worth a damn to carry unless you have a coat on or some other heavy clothing to help conceal it. The Kel Tec is only 8 ounces and you can conceal it in a pair of shorts with a t shirt. Like the man said a .380 in the pocket is better than a .45 left at home.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice picture of your PPK. I picked up one last weekend, the newer S&W version and can't wait to take it to the range. Is there anything I should do or not do during the break-in period?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I like to clean a new gun thoroughly and lube it before I shoot it. There can be quite a bit of crud from manufacturing in a new gun. Other than that, let 'er rip.

·
Registered
297 Posts
For a carry gun I'd shy away from that dinky little cra . . . ah, stuff. Get a Glock 36. Small enough to carry, big enough to hold comfortably, and best of all, it's a .45 ACP.

Best of all would be a 2.5 to 3" S&W K-frame, or 686. Ya can't beat a good .357.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was visiting another pistol site and a few posters over there mentioned they had to put a few hundred rounds through their PPKs before they could comfortably break down the gun(s). Also, they initially had a few jams but they cleared up after 100 or so rounds. Having just got mine, I don't know if I will run into the same break-in period or not. I did clean it, and I will let you know if I have any trouble.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow ... what a great little gun. I took the PPK/S to the range this morning. No jams, no ftf, just LOTS of fun. I shot 2 boxes of the "white box" Winchester 95 GR FMJ target loads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts