Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first posting so bear w/me.
Probably more than 40 years ago my Dad gave me a pistol. I was going thru some old stuff and found it. I have no idea how old it is or its value. It is NOT in working condition...slide will not latch, nor will trigger respond. Before trying to have it repaired, I'd like to know more about it.
Markings on grip are an intertwined "OH" in bronze. Make stamped on slide is Ortgies & Co-Erfurt Ortgies' Patent; serial number on tht barrel is 2AL765. Stamped on bottom near trigger housing is 3486. It's a 9mm (stamped on the clip).

·
Registered
606 Posts
The Blue Book lists 2 pistols by that name.... a 2-3/4 inch barrel in .25 ACP and a 3-1/4 inch barrel in either .32 ACP or .380 Auto.

If yours is marked "9mm" on the magazine, does it also say "kurtz" on there? (Or on the frame somewhere) The 9mm Kurtz (German for "short") is the same as the .380 Auto. If it's a 9x19, I can't tell you anything about it.... according to the Blue Book, it doesn't exist.

The .380 pistols were manufactured between 1922 - 1926 by Deutsche Werke A.G. in Erfurt, Germany.

Given the condition it's in, it would cost more to repair than it is worth. Keep it as-is for sentimental value, or get $50 for it at the next "turn in a gun" deal.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Can't add much to the above other than to help further identify the caliber, in addition to 380 ACP or 9mm Kurz, one may find it marked 9mm Corto, 9mm Short, or 9x17 depending on the intended market. These guns are not in much demand though if it is in very good condition it may be worth while to see how much it would cost to be repaired. For the few dollars it may cost to get an estimate, you might find it worthwhile to have it brought back into shooting condition if it is a reasonable amount. With small pistols often going for well over $200 for even inexpensive, used models, one might find fixing this one worthwhile.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.