Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been carting around my great-gradfather's Colt Police Positive .38special. It seems to be a first go-round as it has the hard rubber checkered grips. The problem is, I can't find a serial number on it. There is only one number, on the left side just behind the trigger-guard on the frame. It is "3". Stories say it was purchased around Silver City, NM but I can't tell how old it really is. Can't be newer than 1927, but could be over 100yrs old. Can any body out there help me with more info on this gun?

·
Registered
606 Posts
The gun could be dated from the serial number, which should be on the bottom of the grip frame. If not, it's hard to tell.... the hard rubber grips were around for a LONG time, so they aren't much help in dating the gun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, wwb. I found the serial number on the yolk of the pistol, on the pivot point inside the frame. Never would have though to look there, but, sure enough. I will call Colt now and see what I can learn. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.