Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to pistol reloading but have loaded shot shells for years. I now want to take on pistol reloading and have aquired a rcbs press and lee dies and book. However I would like some of your expertise on what powder dropping unit I should buy. I only have looked and priced the lyman 55. Is this the unit best for the money and accuracy or are there better ones out there for about this price range. thanks Ken

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mornin ken a,
How ya coming along with your reloadin? I've only been doin it bout 2 years now and am always lookin for new ideas. Ive got the Lee single press but am happy with it. Their powder dropping unit seems to be pretty darn accurate, and I check it a lot. It's a manual unit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Almost all powder measures will hold the charge weight to +/- 0.1gn with most handgun and shotgun powders. In the real world, the gun can't even "see" a variation of +/- 1%. Lots of reloaders spend more time making every charge weight as exactly the same as they can, when they would be better off spending time behind the trigger.
The Lyman 55 has been an excellent powder measure for many decades. I think the Hornady L-N-L powder measure is very hard to beat, and I love the fact that the powder metering system only runs about $10. I can remove the metering system and label with the cartridge, powder, and charge weight it throws and simply pop in a new metering assembly.
I find that the cheap Lee Perfect Powder Measure throws charge weights as consistently or more consistently than my RCBS, Hornady, and Dillon powder measures. However, it feels cheap and it will leak until you break it in properly, so many just toss it out. Like all Lee products, read the instructions several times and follow them.
To get a powder measure any "better," you would need to get an RCBS ChargeMaster or trickle weigh every charge. This won't produce more accurate ammunition, but it does make lots of reloaders much happier.
In the real world, a person who has confidence in their reloads will tend to shoot better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts