Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
IMR4227 and Hodgdon H4227 are 2 different powders. Although I know Hodgdon recently reached an agreement with Winchester to start distributing winchester powders - I wouldn't recommend you substitute H4227 with IMR4227(nor did you imply you were doing that).

But in using H4227 I find it to be a pretty dirty powder - and have gone to Hodgdon Titegroup in my magnum loads. Between H4227 and Titegroup - Titegroup is a much faster burning powder. The Hodgdon site also discusses that Titegroup solved some of the "powder position issues" in the case on low volume powder in magnum cases. But I like Titegroup in .357 mag and .44 mag. I'd recommend you try a little Titegroup - but I also like Hodgon Universal in a .44 mag - so you might try and find a recipe for that as well. Universal is a little slower burning than Titegroup - but in loads ( shotguns and handguns) under 13 grains I think it's pretty clean. I don't like it in a 20ga shotgun load though - it's pretty dirty in that configuration at 15.5 grains. I don't blame you for not wanting that "blowback" in your face. I had some factory .357 mag loads that were doing the same thing - and I finally got rid of them.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts