Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Taurus PT745, and picked up some Gold Dot LE 45 +P 200gr GDHP for it.

It won't feed at all. I can't even get the first round into the chamber.

It seems to work okay with 230gr FMJ ammo, although I haven't fired the gun yet.

Is this a problem with the gun or the ammo?

·
Registered
149 Posts
congrats on your tarurs.

also, congrats on learning something new.

some autoloaders dont like gold dots - the flying ash trays.

what i would do, is try some different brands of HPs and go from there. if you decide to get another 45, i would keep the GDs for future use.

If you dont want to try different ammo, then i would give Taurus a call and let them know what issues you have with the GD and specifically state what you want done. if all you want to shoot is GDs, then maybe they can throat your gun for them or do some tweaking to feed them better.

·
Registered
175 Posts
gseely;
Good advice from toy but something lse you will want to consider and this is only to take what he said a little further and for a very specific reason.
I have carried auto pistols for most of my life or at least the past 45 years and one thing is an "absolute" before I ever put the gun on my person for self defense.
I have a competent gunsmith do exactly what he sai.
I doubt if Taurus will throat or polish for you due to the liabilility issues of today.
But you can take your gun to a professional gunsmith and ask them to do an "upper reliability" package for you.
They will throat and polish your barrel and feed ramp so that no matter what ammo you are forced to use, it willfeed and eject reliably.
Tehy will also tune your extractor and ejector for reliability.
The reason for this is that you may never know what ammo will be available at any given time and all autos can be finicky about the ammo yyou try to feed them if you do not have this preparatory work done. If there is any chance at all that this gun will be your go to gun for protection, you simply must have this work done as soon as possible. It should cost from $85 to $125 for everything. But once it is done, you will never face an ammo feed problem again.
It will not affect your warranty and it will not shorten or in any way affect the longevity of your barrels.
I get 90,000 rounds plus from all of my barrels before I have had to change them.
But the key and the absolute most critical item is that I have complete peace of mind knowing that my gun will not hiccup during operations.
I have been through more than 4,000 rounds in three and one half days of intensive training at Thunder Ranch on many occassions and never experienced a single failure with any of my reloads or factory loads.
Hope this helps and please do not wait to have this done if this gun could be used for you or your families protection.

UF
www.caswells.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts