Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been over at ShotgunWold for a while, new to PistolWorld. Glad I found it.

Anyway, I'm 20, and in about 6 months, when I'm 21, I will be legally allowed to buy a pistol (FINALLY).

I might have to buy two, though, and I would like some input if you don't mind.

The first one I want is a 40 S&W...I have pretty much settled on the Glock or SA XD. Probably glock, for reliablity. This gun will probably be fitted with a light, as it will be used primarily for HD, but sometimes range use.

The second one is for range use. I wanted something bigger than a .22, and definitely an auto. How much more expensive is .40 ammo than 9mm? I would probably be taking it to the range weekly at the least, so I don't want to break the bank with ammo. In any case, I was leaning toward some kind of glock 9mm, because the ammo is cheaper. Also would consider some sort of 9mm 1911. Any opinions?

I'm sure every newbie to the forum asks this question, but you guys seem experienced, and I appreciate the help :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glocks and XD's have different grip angles with the XD being simalar to the 1911's. Go to the gun shop and see which one points and feels better to you.

The price difference between 9mm and 40 S&W is a few bucks a box.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Even though you said, "....bigger than a .22....", I'd say that if you are going to get 2 pistols, one of them should ABSOLUTELY be a .22.

The only way to get good with a hand gun is to shoot a lot, and the .22 is the best way to do it.... no muzzle blast, no recoil, and it's CHEAP (since you mentioned the cost of ammunition as a consideration).

A consideration might be a 1911 with a .22 conversion kit... takes about 2 minutes to switch from .45 ACP to .22 LR. Several brands on the market... a Ceiner (spelling?) costs about $225.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: re: Question about first gun. (Or first two)

wwb said:
Even though you said, "....bigger than a .22....", I'd say that if you are going to get 2 pistols, one of them should ABSOLUTELY be a .22.

The only way to get good with a hand gun is to shoot a lot, and the .22 is the best way to do it.... no muzzle blast, no recoil, and it's CHEAP (since you mentioned the cost of ammunition as a consideration).

A consideration might be a 1911 with a .22 conversion kit... takes about 2 minutes to switch from .45 ACP to .22 LR. Several brands on the market... a Ceiner (spelling?) costs about $225.
--------------------------------------------------
I totally agree with this idea, but you can do the same thing with the Glock you are interested in. I don't know about the XD. There are .22 conversions that work on several models. that way you can shoot exactly the same gun except for caliber and get in great practice at very little cost. The price of the .22 conversion is about half the price of a second gun, at least if you are talking Glock. I have a conversion that fits my Glock 19 and it is fun to shoot.

One other point; IMO the 40 is a good caliber, but it isn't that much better than the 9mm. If you plan on shooting a lot, consider the 9mm. With the correct loads it can do what the 40 can do at less cost, especially at the range.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i'll certainly buy a Ruger MK II or S&W 41 eventually...I've shot them both many times and love them. But I wanted something strictly for home protection and another to mess around with out in the woods.

.22 is a must for honing shooting skills without breaking the bank...but I think i'll make it #3.

Thanks all for the help :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would suggest shooting the Glock and the XD at a range that rents both, The XD grip is more natural. With that said I would also suggest shooting a S&W M&P it has been noted as what the next generation of Glock will be like. It is a little more $ but well worth it. I have one a 45 cal and it's the best available. I'm looking a buying the same in the 9mm compact for casual carry and will post that question to the forum for advice. Most of all find a pistol that fits well and shoot often.

Let us know what you buy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.