Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the sigma 40 cal. This is only my second semi-auto, the Bersa 380 being my first, so I'm not too savay about these guns. My guestion is, when I pull back the slide on my S/W to the locked position, I noticed that the barrel was tilted upward abit. My Bersa doesn't look tilted when in the same position. Is the tilt normal in S/W sigma guns? Please advise. Thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
The barrel tilts up in the front, therefore, down at the back. This downward angle helps facilitate the next round in the magazine, which is pointed up slightly, to chamber when it is pushed forward by the slide returning to battery. When the slide goes all the way forward the barrel is pushed back down into a level position. Thank you John Moses Browning.

As Pistolero said, many small caliber automatics use a different (but similar) system (called the blowback system) and have a fixed barrel that does not move. This does not work as well with high pressure calibers, but Hi Point uses it in all of their guns and have big, clunky, slides to handle the pressure. Someone else may use it on bigger guns, but I'm not aware of them.

So - yes, it's normal for your Sigma.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Come to think of it, IMI uses a fixed barrel for their desert eagle right? And those are large caliber, .50 and .44 and .38 super I think.

I've not shot one, but it looks like they have pretty large clunky slides as well.

I own an old H&K vp70z in 9mm that has a fixed barrel as well...slide on that is pretty massive too, as is the 16Lb DAO trigger pull.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.