Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a P16-40 limited para ordnance 1911. I just bought the 16 1/2 pound Ed Brown recoil spring. When I recieved it the spring was about 3 extra coils longer than my stock spring. The stock spring is suppose to be rated at 19 pounds for a .40 cal, but when I installed the ed brown spring it made the slide harder to rack. Any idea's?

I also noticed there are different part #'s for gorvernment 1911's and commander 1911's. What's the difference between the 2 and should I have ordered a spring for a commander or what?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have no idea what a "P16-40 limited para ordnance 1911" is, but a Commander has a shorter barrel than a Government model, and would therefore require a shorter spring.

If yours is a Commander-sized model and you stuff a Government spring into it, you're going to have a pretty hefty preload on the spring, making the slide a lot harder to rack.

If the stock spring is a 19 lb spring, you should NOT be putting in a lighter spring, unless you're handloading some light loads. A spring that's too light will not absorb enough energy as the slide travels back.... the result will be the slide bottoming out with too much force, and it will batter both the frame and the slide.

In my 1911s (.45 ACP), I use springs anywhere from 14 lb to 22 lb, depending on the loads I'm shooting. If you're going to fiddle with springs, start with a spring that's too heavy, preventing the slide from making it all the way to the rear. Keep going lighter and lighter on the springs until the pistol cycles.... then install a spring one pound lighter, and use that spring and load combination. Installing a recoil buffer is also a good idea.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.