Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only shot pistols a few times in my life. I didn't do so well with any of them to be honest.

I shot a Colt 1911 converted to .22lr I did the best with it because it had optics on it instead of open sights.

I also shot a Kimber 1911 in .45acp. I really didn't care for it.

And the third gun I shot was a S&W revolver, not sure what model, it wasn't a snub, and it wasn't a dirty harry but it was in .357 mag. I liked it but still didn't do so great shooting it.

I am looking for a pistol just for a little fun shooting as well as backup for hunting. I do a good bit of hog hunting and if I get too close in thick brush and I cant get my rifle up, I want to have a pistol for back-up.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
606 Posts
For pigs, especially if you run into a big one with an attitude, a .41 Mag or .44 Mag is the preferred caliber. Unfortunately, if you can't hit 'em, it doesn't matter how big of a cannon you're shooting.

Get a .22 autoloader like a Ruger or a Browning Buckmark or revolver like a Ruger Single Six or S&W K-22.... then practice, practice, practice. Some lessons from a good instructor would help.

After you're good with the .22, step up to the big bore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.