Pistol World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE LOCAL GUN SHOP HAS A 8 POUND CANNISTER FOR SALE FOR $50. IT IS A HEAVY CARDBOARD. I'M GUESSING IT IS FAIRLY OLD, JUST BY LOOKING AT THE CONTAINER. HAS ANYONE EVER USED OLDER POWDER? SHOULD I PASS THIS UP?

·
Registered
112 Posts
JC. A couple things makes me wonder about it. First ,the price is a little too good. and Second what are you going to use it for? I would be a little concerned about the age and how it has been stored. If your reloading shotgun, then 8 lbs is OK if you do a lot of shooting, For Pistol only it would last you forever with some left over. Good luck on what ever you decide and
welcome to the forumn
:) Jack

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the container looks to be in good shape. i do reload a little 12 guage, but mostly .38/.357/.44spec/mag, and now the .454 casuall. i shoot maybe 200rds a month of .38/.357.

the powder is at a pawnshop/gun store. they probably got it with a bunch of reloading stuff. (i haven't asked yet)
it is more of a gun store, over 3/4 of store is guns/related product.

i'll take a good hard look inside and see what condition the powder is in before i buy it. maybe i'll get i good deal and not junky product.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
JC, If I were going to use it just for 12 ga I would probably get it since they are a little more forgiving. As far as handgun powder, especially for magnums, there is not much leeway. I probably would not use it for handguns.
JMO

·
Registered
122 Posts
Properly stored, powders will last indefinitely. If you have powders already, take a sniff of one of them - a flake if possible, like Red Dot. Smell the stuff that is on sale - if they'll allow you to open it. Any kind of strong acetone-like smell means that it is deteriorating.
Pete

·
Registered
9 Posts
Red Dot has been my favored powder for .45 ACP and .38 Special reloading for years. At old Gunsite the favored reload was 4.7 Red Dot with a 230 grain RNL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts