Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told you can not reload brass shot in a Glock because the shell is not completely enclosed by the chamber therefore it allows the brass to swell. Can anyone give me any info on this. I am thinking about purchasing at Glock 21 but if I can't reload the brass or if it will not shoot reloaded ammo, I will bite the bullet and purchase a Kimber. Any help will be appreciated.

A man's best friend, his dogs, his guns, his pickup truck.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I own a Glock 21 and a 30 and shoot MY reloads in both of them. I reload my 45s near or at max and have never had a case head failure. However there are no guarantees on reloads and we all must reload at our own risk.

·
Registered
122 Posts
In order to enhance reliability, Glock barrels have undercut chambers which do not fully support cartridges - a small part of the web of the case is exposed. If you take a look at cases which have been fired in a Glock, you may notice a bulge in the web where it was unsupported.
Given the almost legendary reliability of Glock pistols, this constuction is not a problem with factory ammo, and probably not an issue with ammo reloads that use cases not previously fired in a Glock. Using small base dies may also eliminate the bulge (don't know, haven't tried). Regular dies apparently do a good job.
Because of the unsupported chamber, there is a general caution about using high pressure ammo (+P). Many people do in any case.
One solution to the "problem" is to spend an extra $100 and buy a barrel with a fully supported chamber from Lone Wolf Barrels (among others).
Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.