Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to the reloading game but thought this is the palce to ask what would be the best equipment ( reloader and accessories) for a model 19 s& w. thanks for any feedback to a novice,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: reloading equipment for a smith & wesson model 19 4 " bb

Single stage or progressive?

Hard to beat RCBS in Single Stage, but I've got both Dillon and Lee progressives. For production, the Dillon 550 is my choice, but the Lee, when set up for only one caliber is much less expensive. Learn to use it, and it's a good tool.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Re: reloading equipment for a smith & wesson model 19 4 " bb

I would not consider any single-stage press unless it used bushing to hold the dies. With the bushings, as used with the Lee Challenger Breech Press (or something like that) or the Hornady L-N-L Classic, you adjust the dies and then lock them to the bushings. The bushings install and remove with a slight twist so die changes are VERY fast.
If you plan to shoot more than a couple hundred rounds a month, you might consider a progressive press. However, you should start with the single stage press first to see if you enjoy reloading.
For the least expensive way to start, you can consider the Lee Reloading Press and Richard Lee's Reloading Book as a set for about $35. Add Lee dies for .38Special/.357 Magnum. You can even start loading with just the dipper that comes with the dies.
The dies come with load information from the book and will include some loads that use the dipper. These loads are set to be safe and are starting loads. You can load a few hundred rounds this way and determine if you want to spend more money on an easier/quicker press and add a powder measure and powder balance. Even when/if you buy a more expensive press, the little one will still come in handy for small jobs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts