Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Get rid of the loaded chamber indicator, and give it a series 70 safety mechanism instead of a series 80..... then, I'd give it some very serious consideration.

·
Registered
29 Posts
WWB,
Whats really wrong with the series 80 safety mechanism?
I am curious and want to know why the 70 series is preferred
more if that actually is the case.
Sig Shooter :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
How many thousands of 1911s did Remington make during the war(s?)?

·
Registered
606 Posts
WW I was predominantly Colt, but there were others as well....
North American Arms (Quebec, Canada)
Remington-UMC (the Remington arms producer)
Springfield Armory (the actual government armory, not the Springfield Armory of today)

WW II production was predominantly Colt, but there were others....
Ithaca (the shotgun company)
Union Switch & Signal
Remington Rand (the typewriter company... NOT Remington arms)
Singer Mfg. Co. (the sewing machine company)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I purchased my 1911R1 about a month ago because I wanted to buy a 1911 as a gift to myself and because it was the 100th anniversary of the 1911. Only 50 rounds through it so far, but no problems of any kind except perhaps getting adjusted to a 1911 again after being away from the model for 25+ years. I was a competitive pistol shooter (NRA bullseye) for years, but because of department requirements I was forced to use, teach and carry Glocks.

I find the gun to be well made and tight. Accuracy was not exceptional but I wasn't really doing an accuracy test, just a light break-in. Generally 2-3" group at 15-20 yds. I am looking forward to further break-in shooting sessions. When I get another 200 rounds through it I should have a better idea of the guns true capabilities and any problems it may have.

I bought the gun after considering several other manufacturers. Prices ranged all over the place. I paid $625+tax and felt it was a good deal. I do admit I was looking for a more traditional version of the 1911 rather than one of the more modern versions. Specifically I wanted a standard GI type guide rod and spring rather than the full length version that seems to be so popular these days. If I decide to modify this gun with a beaver tail grip safety, hammer and perhaps different sights, I believe this is a good model to start with. I also liked the fact that the gun is built entirely in the US (I think). I looked at several Kimbers, but the one I liked, with the characteristics I wanted, was over $1300.

I think the gun is well made and a solid buy even at the MSRP. The difference between the series 70 or 80 is not an issue with me as I have owned and fired both and find no real differences. IMO, if you buy one you will like it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.