Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about trying something different. Something like this:http://www.emf-company.com/1858-remington-army-revolver.htm

Anybody have any experience with these revolvers? What are some good brands? Any to stay away from?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cleaning one requires disassembly down to the last screw. Soap and water, dry it off, lubricate and put back together.

It takes gunsmith screwdrivers, a laundry sink, and a clear bench to work on.

Avoid the revolvers with brass frames. You want a steel frame. Brass trigger guards are fine, but brass frames stretch.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The cleaning of BP firearms is a source of continuing discussion. You will get a wide variety of advice as to what is effective.
To provide another viewpoint - I have owned and used a .36 cal. New Police model for some years now, done a lot of load development using BP (ffg and fffg), Pyrodex and 777.
I have never dismantled it past taking the cylinder out while cleaning, removing the grips and the occasional check on the springs. I use swabs, a toothbrush, hot water and Ballistol. The gun is as new. There is no rust - outside or inside.
It doesn't take me any longer to clean it than to clean my .45 Auto between matches.
Pete

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.