Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a .41 mag or .44 mag. I originally wanted a .41, but I've felt how nice a colt python's trigger pulled, so I started looking at anacondas. Do they kick much more than a .41? I actually looked at a newer looking anaconda and the trigger pull was not nearly as smooth at the pythons. The python was probably 30 years old, I don't know if they were made better back then or what? I also was also looking into a ported barrel to reduce recoil and that led me to the colt kodiac, but they are pretty rare. Another gun that I was looking at is the smith and Wesson 629 Light Hunter. Is anyone familiar with this model?

I basically want a pistol for hunting and just shooting that has a really nice trigger pull, and is accurate. What other guns would fall into these categories?

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Treillw said:
I basically want a pistol for hunting and just shooting that has a really nice trigger pull, and is accurate. What other guns would fall into these categories?

Thanks
I use either a Ruger Blackhawk .41 mag or a Redhawk .44 mag for hunting. Either one is accurate enough.

Old Colts are mighty fine guns but bring a fine price too.

As far as recoil difference between the .41 and .44, I can't tell much of a difference. I load both using the same powder charge. It's near max for .41 and more middle of the road for .44. I imagine I could tell more difference if I bumped the .44 charge up a bit.

If you don't load your own, the advantage goes to the .44. Factory ammo is more widely available, cheaper and has a wider range of loadings.

I assume you can get any gun magna ported, how much does that cost roughly?
Yep, you can get about any gun ported. I personally question doing so, but it is possible. I don't have any idea on the price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
in my neck of the woods you will find a lot more .44 mag ammo available than .41 ammo. you will also find more guns chambered for .44. just something to think about.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Anaconda has different lockwork than Colt's Python, original Trooper, and .357 models. The Anaconda is likely stronger and less prone to timing problems, but its single action trigger pull can't match the classics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the old style pythons and anacondas cannot be even compared to the new ones. my uncle has an anaconda, his son a python and I have a diamondback. all circa 1980 made and have a wonderful trigger but if you can't find the older one then you're probably better off with the Ruger for hunting

·
Registered
42 Posts
My son has a Colt Anaconda that seems to shoot accurately with most any bullet including the run of the mill .429 diameter jacketed stuff. It is nowhere near as buttery smooth as his Python but a lot of fun to shoot just the same.

I, on the other hand, had a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .44 Mag that wouldn't put a single round out of five of .429 jacketed bullets onto a standard NRA B-3 target at 50 yards off of a sand-bag (and just barely managed getting on paper at 25 yards). On talking to a well known bullet manufacturer, I was told that Ruger revolvers (maybe just New Model Blackhawks in .44 Mag, don't know) have a tendency to be just a tad over-bored and to try lead bullets @ .431"/.432" diameter. I hand-loaded up a coupla batches and the results were truly unbelievable. Two to three thousandths (.002"-.003") in diameter made a huge difference in sand-bag accuracy.

Anyone else ever experience this with Ruger revolvers?

·
Registered
297 Posts
You're gonna pay out the wazoos for an Anaconda today, and as an Anaconda owner, I can tell you they're not worth the extra money you're gonna have to pay for one. If you want a smooth double action gun, I'd go with a S&W.

You really can tell the difference between a .41 and a .44, however, I don't think a deer will tell much difference. A 210 or 240 grain .41 is pretty sweet.

My favorite hunting guns, however, are my single action Ruger Bisleys. Strong as tanks and easy to maintain. Pretty darn accurate, too. (I shoot them better than my Anaconda.) Single actions are just a heck of a lot of fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I shoot a Taurus Tracker in .41 and love it. It came ported and is LOUD! Very easy to handle though. I have shot a few .44 mags and did not find them as bad as many say they are but my .41 is a sweetheart to shoot. I hand load though so the problems with factory ammo are moot for me. If I was more serious about handgun hunting I would get a S&W though instead of the Taurus.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I used to shoot .44 mags, Rugers and Smiths. I did own a ported Smith Model 29, and IMO, it was a waste of money.
It had no real effect other than lowering the resale value of the gun a lot! If you port an Anaconda, you might as well throw your money in the trash (or send it to me - PM me for mailing address)

Get a Ruger Redhawk .44mag.

mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts